The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No consensus to change Queensland abortion law, but strong support for safeguards for women > Comments

No consensus to change Queensland abortion law, but strong support for safeguards for women : Comments

By Alan Baker, published 5/11/2010

Not only don't Queenslanders support liberalised abortion laws, but they will vote against politicians that do.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
"Anyone who has done STATS-101 during their studies would understand that this is a very questionable survey from a survey company that should know better than to put their name on a survey as poorly conducted as this."
-crumpethead

And anyone with a broad liberal education should know what the third kind of lie is.

"I think that the current support for abortion will evaporate with the coming generations. Today's children who have grown up being taught that all people are equally valuable, regardless of race religion etc, will have a hard time accepting that its ok to kill people simply because they haven't been born yet. This has nothing to do with religion, but every thing to do with universal human rights."
-Rhys Jones

I think you may be wrong. I believe all people are equally valuable, regardless of race, religion etc. I'm still quite OK with abortion.

There is a difference betwixt people and humans. I consider it hypothetically possible to be a person without being human. If Vulcans (from Star Trek) existed, they'd certainly be people - and they certainly wouldn't be human. I consider it entirely possible to be human without being a person - a human zygote is certainly human, but certainly not a person.

I concede that it is wrong to kill a person just 'coz they haven't been born yet. But I fail to see the immorality in killing a human which has yet to attain personhood.
Posted by Riz, Friday, 5 November 2010 11:53:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think many on the left realise what a big issue life is to many conservatives. On the left abortion is just one of their pet issues to be ticked off, along with gay marriage, surrogacy, gay adoption, euthenasia. Whereas to many who are prolife, this is a huge issue that will easily see them switch votes. So there is much more to be lost here than to be gained by Premier Bligh. The research backs this up.
Posted by Joe2008, Friday, 5 November 2010 11:53:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"It is also alarming that Emilys List doesnt support independent counselling of pregnant mothers, many who are confused and pressured and need support."
-Joe2008

Probably 'coz they're canny enough to realise that 'indepedent counselling' is correctly read as 'pro-lifers in independent counsellors' clothing trying to foist their own values onto pregnant women', and that women considering an abortion aren't actually going to receive anything of value from a religiously inspired guilt trip.
Posted by Riz, Saturday, 6 November 2010 12:07:04 AM
There you go Riz continually bringing up your personal issues with religion again... I wonder why you feel you need to keep doing that...

If you think that even indipendant counselling will be biased, it is surely a given then that any so called counselling provided by the abortion business itself won't be remotely impartial or of any use consoling a distraught new mother and showing her her real options.
Posted by Joe2008, Saturday, 6 November 2010 7:52:03 AM
Both sides in this debate could readily be satisfied with the inclusion of RU486 in a woman's arsenal of contraception and recognition of the reality that in addition to the sex act being natures means of procreation; it is equally performed as a form of recreation.

All children deserve to be wanted and not merely the result of a few minutes of unrestrained passion.

The 'Morning After Pill' can resolve the argument of 'when life begins' by thwarting the intent of that determined little spermatozoon swimmer.
Posted by maracas1, Saturday, 6 November 2010 9:05:07 AM
"I think that the current support for abortion will evaporate with the coming generations. Today's children who have grown up being taught that all people are equally valuable, regardless of race religion etc, will have a hard time accepting that its ok to kill people simply because they haven't been born yet." -Rhys Jones

What planet do you live on?

Surveys across Australia since at least the 1980's have shown that more and more people are supportive of a woman's right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

Despite shrill right-to-lifers preaching their myths and claims that women are doing it for "convenience" and that the rights of the fetus are greater than that of the woman, he truth is that as time passes, a growing mass of people have either had an abortion or know someone who has. These women were not just some anonymous "party girl", but their wife, daughter, mother, sister etc. They may not have previously considered themselves pro-choice but when faced with their own unique, compelling reasons to terminate a pregnancy, they then understand why abortion needs to be available without interference from politicians.

Dodgey surveys like the one commissioned by AFA, don't do anything to change the public's attitudes on abortion. Even right-to-life politicians know that it would be political suicide to pass laws making access to abortions more restrictive. Maybe not this year or even next year, but at some point in time, abortion will be completely legalised.
Posted by crumpethead, Saturday, 6 November 2010 10:37:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy