The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A vision for the National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples > Comments

A vision for the National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples : Comments

By Kerry Arabena, published 1/11/2010

Listening to the past and imagining the future for First Peoples in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
aka "rpg, you object to the use of the term 'first peoples' claiming it to be a stolen term - yet you do not appear to object to the fact that Australia as a national entity is based on stolen lands, and that you directly benifit from this theft"

I didn't steal your land, nor did my ancestors.

Aboriginals evidently did not understand the concept of ownership, so how how can anything be stolen from them. I get your point though, like Amicaus says, you are grasping onto the victim title as hard as you can to justify your hatred, and lack of progress.

Stop hating us .. we might all get somewhere, you're all happy to take our money I notice.

So what does reconciliation mean to you, not anyone else, just you aka?
Posted by rpg, Sunday, 7 November 2010 11:35:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rpg, I will respond to your question even though I am disapointed that you did not respond to mine. For me the basis necessary for reconcilliation is Respect.

Respect from non-Indigenous Australians towards Indigenous Australians and reasons for Indigenous Australians to Respect non-Indigenous Australians. While there are many instances of such Respect occurring there remain many instances where Indigenous Australians would like to be able to Respect other Australians but it is just not possible as their behaviour is so poor - and Respect is the basis for Trust.

Re the issue of money it is a misconception that Indigenous Australians do not pay their way. The GST means that everyone pays tax, mining royalty comes from Aboriginal land etc. Amicus and rpg, you must have a lot of money the way you suggest that Indigenous funding all comes out of your pocket.

The Mabo decision makes it clear that Aboriginals did understand the concept of land ownership, and that colonisation disrupted this ownership - illegally.

Amicus, I have never spat in your or anyone elses face and it is you who are claiming the victim status here. Your refusal to acknowledge the simple truth of the overwhelming devastation caused by colonisation - Indigenous people were not considered citizens until the 1960s - and the ongoing impact of govt policies, indicate that you are clinging to the poor agrieved non-Indigenous persona who somehow deserves more than others. Your attitude implies that it is all the fault of the original people for not simply fading away into history or being absorbed into society to become just like you (I shudder at the thought).

If people would like Respect from Indigenous people, I suggest that they must first act in a way that is deserving of respect.
Posted by Aka, Sunday, 7 November 2010 2:40:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"If people would like Respect from Indigenous people, I suggest that they must first act in a way that is deserving of respect."

right, and if you want respect from Australians, stop accusing us of stealing ..

I'm a recent arrival in Australia, no one told us when we came here we all had to assume the guilt of colonials long gone.

you need to remove that chip from your shoulder before anything is going to progress.

I doubt you will, it's too good a wicket isn't it?

The "big excuse" for aboriginals in your position, "it's someone else's fault", it even might be, but it's your attitude to it that will either help or hinder you.

I don't have a problem, nor do "my people", you and yours seem to.

Anyway, this is pointless,you just go around in circles hating and whining, that it's someone else who has to pay, to change to respect to whatever .. when it's you who needs to change. Eventually Australians will get sick of paying, getting spat on called names and blamed for everything, by then you will want to have worked it out, or the gravy train will stop anyway. It can't go on forever.
Posted by Amicus, Monday, 8 November 2010 11:21:10 AM
Aka, if you look carefully at the Mabo decision, you will see that Eddie Mabo was a Torres Straight Islander and their customs regarding land ownership were different to mainlanders. The judgement was actually in error as it should only have applied to TI's, but it hasn't been challenged so it remains the law.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 8 November 2010 2:59:15 PM
VK3AUU, I think that there are many legal brains that have challenged the Mabo decision, and as you say it stands as law. The British based law found that there was never terra nullius.

Amicus, you appear to object to my attitude because I challenge you to think about your attitude. I find it intriguing that as a 'new arrival' you take it on youself to be so judgemental on something that you obviously know little about.

You chose to come to Australia and you live on land that was never legally obtained by the crown. If you chose not to educate youself on the history of Australia it is your issue, not mine.

I am interested though in why you left your country of birth, as an Indigenous Australian the thought of leaving one's country is a difficult concept to understand.

Perhaps if your attitude softened you might feel less need for the rather illfounded and paranoid belief that Indigenous Australians dislike you so much. It is all about Respect.
Posted by Aka, Monday, 8 November 2010 6:50:57 PM
When an indigenous person demands "respect" he/she really means more money. They dont do anything to earn it but that doesnt apply if everything they see and try to get their hands on are really theirs kept in care for them by white man.We make the darn things sell them to others, then pay taxes for what we have and earn all because this is the way wealth is generated for them.
What a poor perception they have of themselves. Victimisation is their ATM.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Monday, 8 November 2010 9:56:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy