The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Men in the age of feminism > Comments

Men in the age of feminism : Comments

By Peter West, published 22/10/2010

Men can never be feminists - millions have tried and nobody did better than C+.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 38
  7. 39
  8. 40
  9. Page 41
  10. All
Poirot,

The destruction of the extended family in Australia is recent and continuing. Unfortunately government policy in Australia is driven by economic considerations and some movements are inclined to toss out the baby with the bathwater (especially where they were not so impressed with babies anyhow).
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 8 November 2010 4:27:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jefferson, all law is (or should be) founded in ethical principles. A good law does enforce ethical obligations, since ethical analysis of situations in which one is involved is often very difficult for individuals and can lead to very bad outcmes indeed.

Coercion by the State is not something that should be applied lightly, as the Ombudsman has pointed out very clearly with the CSA. In fact, it is so dangerous that I have suggested the alternative solution of the child support levy, meaning that such coercion is simply no longer part of the landscape in this context and that children get properly and adequately supported if they need it.

There is a great deal more to the subject of men in this feminist age than children's matters, though; let's not get too bogged down on this.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 8 November 2010 4:28:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder if being vindictive towards one's ex is an Indonesian cultural practice. I'm sure that there is some culture, somewhere in the world where people can work things out maturely after a break-up, because it has never occured to them that they should be nasty towards their ex.
Posted by benk, Monday, 8 November 2010 4:34:39 PM
hi Jefferson, to say the sexes are equal means women have the same right to a legislature, a jurisdiction at law and council and corporate committees as men granted themselves, hope this helps.
Posted by whistler, Monday, 8 November 2010 4:45:30 PM
RObert
There are never any absolutes, just as I would never argue that both parents should have equal access 'absolutely' if there were extenuating circumstances.

The premise should be what is best and shared custody seems to fit the bill in most cases, given a healthy relationships with both parents is usually the best for children, the reality is there is no one-size fits all.

I agree it is difficult, particularly with very young children, to always be confident that what is 'best' is easily ascertained. It may not always be so - that is truly a dilemma. Thankfully I have never had to go through it, but I can understand how it would feel to be told you can only see the kids every 2nd week etc.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 8 November 2010 5:16:00 PM
Pelican one of the problem's is that "childrens best interests" is treated as some kind of absolute when men's groups have raised issues about unreasonable impacts on men from the way family law and child support is implemented. The basic premise seems to be that childrens best interests should always trump the needs or wants of the non-resident parent regardless of the relative levels of impact.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 8 November 2010 7:29:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 38
  7. 39
  8. 40
  9. Page 41
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy