The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What need have we for saints? > Comments

What need have we for saints? : Comments

By Kim White, published 21/10/2010

Only a quarter of us are Catholic so why the excitement over Mary?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Otokonoko,

True...I take your point and hereby retract my previous comment. I also appologise to the author for the overly harsh tone. Must have been the late night :-)

Regards

Ausdag
Posted by ausdag, Friday, 22 October 2010 10:16:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'll take up your offer.
I'll respond to your scatological meadow-muffin, and question your mojo hypothesis ! The newly sanctified Mary McKillop cannot be compared to VC winners, Weary Dunlop or even bush ranger extraordinaire Ned-the-irish-git Kelly..may he rot..! Your choice of National heroes leave much to be desired. This momentous occasion is not about how tough and mean we claim to be, but about resilience, fortitude and ambrosial charity from within.

Oz history is resplendent with statesmen, shysters, thespians, mutineers, charlatans, and under-belly crims.

Since the inauguration of the First-fleeter's disembarkation, at Sans Souci. Botany Bay, the scramble for notoriety and celebrity status has not abated one iota, in fact it has exacerbated tenfold.
From Governor Phillip, to the first week, of a public hanging for rape, lewd behavior and drunkenness. All the proponents made herculean / olympian quests, to become the first in the antediluvian Guinness Book of Records. Lawson, Wentworth, Macquarie etc strived their level best for Public acclaim and history book recognition. The quest for fame / fortune aka celeb status, was unofficially launched in Terra Australis from Day one: 18 Jan.1788.

Quixotically, " fortune ", it seems, took a back seat momentarily. It was not until it became fashionable to do a " robin hood ", and rob stage coaches when they went over the Blue Mountain Ranges, and ran out of puff. Evidently, the jejune practice didn't pay off as handsomely as some denuded micks expected, so they took up cattle rustling, and blamed it all on the full bloodied Aborigine tribes, who lived along the Hawkesbury, where the modern day Windsor Tropicana is today. This led to full scale " shock-an-awe " skirmishes and reprisals, which owe it's genesis to Governor Phillips untimely intervention. The tribes took a G-awful thrashing. Musket ball, power beats boomerangs and nulla-nulla's, hands down, any day !

cont..
Posted by dalma, Friday, 22 October 2010 3:17:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was going to start a thread about this myself.

It was going to be titled "Why Protestants don't have 'Saints'"

The reason is simple. Best exemplified by one anecdotal comment from a lay catholic person "Now I've been helped by Mary McKillop..I started praying TO her"

The reason for Christian service is not for any personal glory or name.
The only one who should be honoured thru Christian service is Christ.
There is no 'merit' in Christian service other than as it bring glory to Christ alone. So.. 'we' don't enter into it.

Paul said //"I" am crucified with Christ..it is no longer "I" who live, but Christ who lives in me// Gal 2:20
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 25 October 2010 12:28:50 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy