The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dying with dignity > Comments

Dying with dignity : Comments

By Neil Francis, published 8/10/2010

Eighty-five per cent of Australians want choice over how they die.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
I have been an adherent to a friendly way to go for about 45years or since watching my Granddad die ; along drawn out process that really taxed my mother (his Daughter) to the limit damaging her health both physically and mentally . I recall being within a hairs breath of stopping him breathing when Mum appeared on the scene I was 18 at that time , I have over the years considered the consequences had Mum not arrived in time , I really didn't think anything about moral or legal
consequences . The event was a nightmare lasting about 2 years and subsequent to the dying stage this poor Man was gassed during the first world war in France his other injury was far more engaging it consisted of a shard of bronze that stuck out of his forehead about 3mm and was about 35mm long and depth unknown the wound was antique green.
What a shame this poor beggar had to suffer such a long miserable and angry death , misery exemplified .
Posted by Garum Masala, Friday, 8 October 2010 4:37:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a serious topic, and ought not be trivialised by people who pretend that legalization of euthanasia is carte blanche to get rid of any old person you feel like.

>>There ARE some of us who are not too enthusiastic to give away our one-and-only life, just yet.<<

For the record, Loudmouth, no-one has yet suggested involuntary euthanasia.

The question we should be addressing is the one that keeps getting hidden under the posturing: how do we ensure that it is, in fact, voluntary?

It's should not be too hard, surely.

But it keeps getting buried under the "every sperm is sacred" rhetoric.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 8 October 2010 5:44:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles, "no-one has yet suggested involuntary euthanasia."

There is the voluntary where the person knows s/he is valued and has supports and pain control for daily living.

Then there is the 'voluntary' that could apply in Australia, a culture that doesn't value its seniors, actively discriminates against them even in the obvious area of employment, and permits a broken aged care system to continue despite the obvious suffering it causes.

What prevents the supporters of euthanasia for the aged (who else?) from similarly demanding that the aged should be guaranteed their rights, respect and adequate care while they are alive? Surely this is crucial to ensuring that voluntary euthanasia is in fact voluntary and not just the only way out for the unwilling hostages of a wretchedly poor aged care system and an environment where they are treated as worthless baggage and an unnecessary overhead on the economy?

Seriously, how can the Greens and others be pushing euthanasia without reviewing and challenging the less than satisfactory attitudes to the aged and the shabby treatment of them in our culture? Go to Canberra, the nation's capital - where else in the world are the aged so well hidden from view and what does that say about our culture?
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 8 October 2010 6:31:25 PM
Thank you, Pericles, I'm certainly not suggesting that INvoluntary euthanasia will, hopefully, ever be on the books, but I am worried about the creation of a climate of expectation, that old people will be constantly reminded that they have had their share and it would be socially responsible to say goodbye.

And a corollary of this would be the humane removal, as it will probably be termed, of all those demented and insensate people in old people's homes who are, let's face it, really just taking up space and using taxpayers' funds, which can be used for far more valuable humanitarian purposes, such as wells for the Third World and prosthetic limbs and food for its children. Yeah, right.

Hmmmm ..... people who have lost limbs ...... yes, that can come later ...... then the unfit ....... then ......

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 8 October 2010 7:13:46 PM
Cornflower, I am totally with you on the awful state of our aged care system. I am fully aware that if we had a better life as an aged person in an aged care facility, there would be far less need for voluntary euthanasia requests.

After working in an Aged Care facility for several years until I left in disgust two years ago, I can say that the nursing staff that were on site (and there were precious few of them allowed to be employed), were fighting an uphill battle to secure proper care for the residents.

The government only supplies enough funds to employ the 'aged care workers' who are rushed through a quick part-time 6 month 'education' program and are then sent out to care for the most vulnerable people in our society. It is disgusting in my opinion.

Almost all the residents in the two nursing homes I worked in asked about being 'put down' on at least one occasion. The most enduring problem was the extreme boredom and loneliness these people suffered from. Almost all of them were on antidepressant medications.

I for one am worried about what happens to me or my relatives if we ever need to be admitted to a high care aged care facility.
I just hope I have the option of euthanasia should that happen.
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 8 October 2010 8:04:31 PM
Loudmouth, "I am worried about the creation of a climate of expectation, that old people will be constantly reminded that they have had their share and it would be socially responsible to say goodbye."

Unsubtle.

More subtle,
Couldn't it be argued that it is too expensive to provide support for elderly widows still living in their matrimonial homes in small towns and outlying areas and there is nothing to stop the selfish (they own property, right?) buggers from selling up and buying into an entrepreneur's el cheapo unit block or aged care home in a 're-developed' undesirable 'burb of the nearest city?

Good, now how long would those old wrinklies last after they have lost their treasured independence, familiar surroundings, friends and memories (all of that old stuff just had to go)? If they last more than 12 months after being moved, their undiagnosed depression (poorly diagnosed in the aged and who cares anyhow), bedsores and general ill-health after nursing home 'care' should see them snatching for pills or the green dream, whatever is available.

Come to think of it, to make those aged care homes viable and stimulate investment, there would have to be policies to encourage the aged to take up the opportunities they present, right? Put up the council rates on their houses, now! Hold on, that is already being done.
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 8 October 2010 8:33:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy