The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gillard's conflict on euthanasia more than justified > Comments

Gillard's conflict on euthanasia more than justified : Comments

By Jim Wallace, published 1/10/2010

No matter how you intellectualise euthanasia it will never be right.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. All
I think that's enough for me;

The whole bottom line of the issue of personal decision is being missed (or dodged) into some kind of institutional decision, when it is easy (not to mention the entire structure of the pro movement) to base the laws around the DEMAND of the patient, not anyone else (and thus would NOT be covered under Euthanasia law and would have roughly the same freedom to act out their will as they do now.

I'm actually convinced that the communication failure is because many people sincerely don't HAVE personal will and cannot seriously believe such a thing exists in others; but themselves live more to somebody else's instructions, and assume everyone else must be too. As such, they are frightened that this will set a precedent for 'bad people' to start appearing and convincing people to kill themselves.

Beyond that, a personal moral inflicted on others that "death" is the worst option and people who feel that being stuck on a life-support is worse are simply wrong and must be prevented from acting on their own beliefs.

There is no way after so much (and unfortunately, repeated) analysis to ensure personal will is the sole instigator is the patient's un-coerced demand to be euthanized as the only legal basis to do it could fail to get through unless for the above explanations;

I always wonder why Australia is so unlucky to have such paternalistic people attracted to politics- now I think it's quite a standard attitude we have here.
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 8 October 2010 2:18:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your majesty,

So we will never see the words 'dementia' and 'euthanasia' in the same sentence ?

And has being concerned about the rights of others to 'habeas corpus' become paternalist ?

Oh, brave new world !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 8 October 2010 4:09:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One under god,
Brrrr… your comments give me the shivers! But I accept your right to your views.
You may have been an atheist (really?) but a “true science believer” you certainly were not and never will be. To be a scientist (science believer) you need to be ‘born again’. In your current state of mind; impossible. Science is the art of explaining the natural phenomena via investigation. Science is not a doctrine or a faith document to believe in. Your sentiments about science don’t gel right. So mate, your claim to be once a science person is tantamount to ‘blasphemy’ and thus, dare I say, you have become a ‘heretic’.

I strongly recommend that you read some of Raimon Panikkar & Tony de Mello’s books. Raimon (died at the age 93) said after his long trip to Asia, “I left [Europe] as a Christian; found myself a Hindu; and I return as a Buddhist, without having ceased to be a Christian.” ‘The Cosmotheandric Experience’ by R Panikkar is a must for all sane and muddled people. Please, also read (science, but easy reading for all) ‘The Private Life Of The Brain’ by Susan A Greenfield. You will understand yourself better and have an appreciation for all others as well, including the workings of the brain/mind (and perhaps God). Our narrow and shallow definition of God has caused much misery in this world. God is now being used to silence euthanasia supporters. Good heavens.

Life is certainly a gift and our DNA is designed to self-preserve and propagate. So fear not the free infliction of euthanasia on all. To continue to debate about the ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ of euthanasia appears to be a waste of time. I certainly will not await government approval for what is my personal matter. Imagine Gillard and her masters, Kim Yong Arbib, Kin Yong Shorten, et al, approving or disapproving if I should live or die, if that moment arrives. I shudder
Posted by Jolly, Sunday, 10 October 2010 1:17:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy