The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Winning hearts and minds in Afghanistan > Comments

Winning hearts and minds in Afghanistan : Comments

By Keith Suter, published 29/9/2010

Afghanistan: it is important to examine all allegations of inappropriate violence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Non sequitur, Arjay.

In fact, I'm trying to understand what you are referring to. But let me guess: foreign investment in any country of any company based in another country, including Chinese investment in Africa, Gulf States investment in Australia, Russian investment in Vietnam - is that what you are getting at ?

Or are you referring to US policy in the Middle East ? Yes, if the Palestinian situation could be resolved (my preference is for a single, secular, democratic state), then many of the threats to world peace might be reduced. The democratic forces in Iran may be strengthened as the rationale of the ayatollahs would be dissipated. Of course, pigs might fly first, since not many of the many sides in the Israel-Palestine dispute, inside and outside of Palestine, are willing to make any concessions.

Meanwhile, independently of the US puppet-masters, people devise their own crackpot ideologies, including fundamentalisms of all sorts, based either on the racial superiority of their group A to groups B and C, or of their Book to all other Books, or of the need to put their Book into literal practice and exterminate all non-believers in order to impose the Word of their God all over the earth. Or else group X believes that it has an innate right to rule as it once did (according to its own myths) in 1252 AD or 3459 BC or whenever over the territories of its lesser neighbours. As, for example, China is now doing in relation to the oil-rich South China Sea and Sudan, and Russia is threatening to do in relation to the oil-rich Caucasus and central Asia. And yes, the US everywhere, as one of many exploiters.

As I said before, they are all b@stards now, all interested in other people's oil and gas and iron and coal and rare earths. No country is somehow morally privileged to keep out of the game, they are all prepared to get their hands dirty. Life in the 21st century, Arjay. I don't make the rules and I don't like them either.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 1 October 2010 9:08:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth the USA is currently the most powerful military force on the planet by far.The USA people unfortunately are not in charge of their country.It is the military industrial complex ie a cabal of global corporates who really control the USA and they want it all.

While China,Russia,or Middle Eastern countries have totaliarian regiemes,it does not give us the right to invade their countries and steal their energy/resources
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 1 October 2010 10:19:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh dear, Arjay,

<<While China,Russia,or Middle Eastern countries have totaliarian regiemes,it does not give us the right to invade their countries and steal their energy/resources>>

I think that you may be misunderstanding what I am trying to say: that

(a) the US is not the only power/exploiter on the planet, and

(b) I am not saying that the US is invading China, Russia etc., that conversely, these countries are quite capable and intent on invading/controlling/exploiting whatever other countries and their resources that they can get their hands on, just like the US. None of them have some right to 'steal' other countries energy/resources. But the US is one of many, it is not the only exploiter, and not necessarily the biggest either.

I'm suggesting, Arjay, that it is a very complex world, much more than a simple US-bad/all others-good world. Many, many countries, movements and groupings have their own dynamics, their own conpulsions, regardless of Halliburton or the Carlisle Group or the CIA - they have their own axes to grind, their own idiotic preoccupations against their evil Callathumpian or Baratarian or Brobdignagian neighbours, their historic enemies. The world doesn't dance to US tunes all the time, or react ONLY against US tunes all the time. The US is a major player, but it's not the only player.

But surely you already know that ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 1 October 2010 11:04:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth,of course Iran and China etc have much left to be desired in terms of human rights issues,however since 911, the USA and the West are approaching decadence and human rights incursions far beyond that of our perceived enemies.

The war in Afghanistan is a lie,just like Iraq.I can prove it.Would you like to put all your assets on bet, to disprove the reality?
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 6 October 2010 8:05:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Arjay,

<<The war in Afghanistan is a lie,just like Iraq.I can prove it.>>

Go for it. 'Prove' is a hell of a task, I wish you well.
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 7 October 2010 12:02:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy