The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ethics classes won’t stop the extremists > Comments

Ethics classes won’t stop the extremists : Comments

By Cathy Byrne, published 24/9/2010

Fuller exposure to religious education would benefit all Australian students

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Sonofgloin,

I understand your point, it is a valid concern. But I disagree that too many moderates are extremists in hibernation. Just like many Catholics have kept quiet (mainly out of embarrassment or shame)as the Catholic church has tried to protect pedophiles in their ranks, most Muslims are disgusted and angry at the actions of these extremists, but are trying to keep their distance from it.

Yes it's true, some of them, given personal circumstances (e.g. poverty, mental issues, racial vilification), could turn to extremist groups. But it is these circumstances mentioned that would make that occur, not their religion. They just use their religion as common ground. Islam doesn't make them do it, they misuse Islam to justify to themselves that what they are doing is right. In most cases, they are acting in complete contradiction to the teachings of Islam.

We see the same with young Australian men joining Neo-Nazi groups, or bashing people because of their colour in Cronulla or somewhere. In these cases, they have used their "Australian-ness" as their common ground. Doesn't mean all Australians are to be tarred with the same brush as a bunch of morons because of this, nor does it mean that those Australians who remained silent are ready to be recruited to violent action against immigrants. Nor are the silent majority of Catholics ready to be recruited to supply priests with little boys for their pleasure.

People are assuming the worst in Muslims, but the best of their own people.

This is xenophobia, a product of fear and ignorance. Xenophobic behaviour (be it action or words) from us is only going to increase the likelihood of any possible extremist recruitment from the Muslim community.
Posted by TrashcanMan, Sunday, 26 September 2010 4:56:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, I hope that those who argue that the majority of Moslems don't accept the totalitarian doctrine of the "extremists" are correct. However, the 'moderate Moslem majority' has been extremely silent in denouncing Islamic human rights violations,all we usually hear is bleating about fears that the Islamic community will suffer 'retaliation' from the kuffar majority.
There's also the sinister reality that there are few, if any, liberal democratic Moslem majority nations where religious minorities are safe to practise their beliefs. Can anyone name any?
So, I'm extremely sceptical that the same Islamic 'no-go' enclaves that already exist in Europe won't appear in Australia.
Posted by mac, Sunday, 26 September 2010 5:18:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mac,

Indonesia, the largest Muslim nation in the world, has freedom of religion in the 'Panca Sila', its constitution. Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, whatever religion live together with the Muslim majority without persecution (no more than in Australia at any rate).

Admittedly, there are only a handful of Jews in Indonesia, but they ARE free to live there and practice their religion.

Turkey, Bosnia, Syria, Jordan etc also Muslim majority countries that constitutionally allow freedom of religion (although in varying degrees of practice).

Iran also recognises Judaism and Christianity, as is dictated by Islam. That is, according to Islam, followers of these religions are considered "people of the book", and their religion is considered legitimate. Approximately 20-30k Jewish people live in Iran, and 300k Christians. A small proportion of seats in government are reserved for Christian and Jewish representatives.

Yes, I know. Iran isn't a liberal democracy. But in reality it could be argued that either is the USA. Whether or not a country is a liberal democracy is beside the point anyway.
Posted by TrashcanMan, Sunday, 26 September 2010 6:32:11 PM
I can't recall the last time I saw a Muslim teenager get blind drunk and pick a fight with some stranger in a pub, or a Muslim girl flash her breasts at the car races.

Come to think of I've never even seen one lift her skirts and urinate on the street on a Saturday night.

Why won't these people integrate?

Comparing the best of one with the worst of another is the worst generalisation you can make.
Posted by rache, Monday, 27 September 2010 12:58:21 AM
TrashcanMan,

Your comments are naive, there is great difference between the noble sentiments in those nations' constitutions and the actual day to day reality,after all the Soviet constitution was 'democratic'. My point was that a democratic constitution is only effective in a liberal democratic state. The following sites have reported oppression of religious minorities in all the nations you have mentioned, often with the compliance of the local law enforcement authorities.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/

http://www.faithfreedom.org/

http://freethinker.co.uk/

http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/

These are only a fraction of the total resources available
Posted by mac, Monday, 27 September 2010 9:14:25 AM
[Deleted for arguing moderation decisions on the forum. Commenter suspended.]
Posted by Leigh, Monday, 27 September 2010 10:08:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy