The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Buddhism and a sustainable world: some reflections > Comments

Buddhism and a sustainable world: some reflections : Comments

By Geoffrey Samuel, published 20/9/2010

What has Buddhist practice got to contribute to environmentalism?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Anyone interested in Buddhism should first read what Buddha actually said. This will get one to the essence of his logic/wisdom.
Do not look at "traditional" Buddhism as this is mostly folk-lore, superstition and culture; Just as Christians honour little of what Christ said, so Buddhists tend to avoid the Buddha's actual teachings.
Remember the moon, not the finger.
Posted by Ozandy, Monday, 20 September 2010 10:08:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that we can recognize the growing influence of the range of Eastern philosophies/religions within the West over the last few centuries.

The concept of yin/yang polarity is central to these philosophies and leads to a nature based spirituality. Recognition of paradox, the interdependence of opposites, and the benefits of walking on the 'middle way' also grow out of the principle of polarity.

While he has yet to gain the Buddha's popularity in the West, personally I like Confucious' teachings: Get involved in life, do the right thing by your community and try to be a good person.
Posted by GilbertHolmes, Monday, 20 September 2010 10:27:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given that the pages of OLO are filled with disputes over pedophilia in the Catholic Church and neverending diatribes about how the poor Jews have been badly treated by the terrible Palestinians (who are under Israeli occupation) it's refreshing to see an article about Buddhism.

The philosophy of Buddhism has much to give, and it is one of the few pacifist forces in the world today (unlike Christianity, Islam and Judaism).
Posted by David G, Monday, 20 September 2010 11:25:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of the problems is that all 'Buddhism ain't Buddhism': specifically having spent a number of years studying and training in Zen I have always found Tibetan Buddhism practice very off–putting. Your comment on disengagement being central to Zen is very true and a bit difficult as you mention. I would simply leave it as 'compassion trumps disengagement' but then I am no longer an active or even practising Zen Buddhist.
Posted by Gorufus, Monday, 20 September 2010 11:50:13 AM
We must remember that the goal of Buddhism is to eliminate suffering, for ourselves and for all other sentient beings - not to provide a sustainable world (which is a neurotic idea, because the world will end one day anyway, regardless of whatever we practice).

Although the world may happen to be sustained a bit longer as a side-effect of Buddhist practices, the world is only a means, not an end. It is the best place for one to reflect, to meditate and to resolve their karma. Whether one gets involved in the world or not, depends on one's stage of life: ideally, householders get involved while hermits/monks/renunciates do not. Ultimately, one must let go of all worldly concerns.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 20 September 2010 11:57:53 AM
"War and Peace in the World's Religions" by John Ferguson is a powerful antidote to thinking of any religion as a religion of peace or a religion of war. Ferguson examined 15 religions and found both traditions in all of them.

The Japanese officer corps in WW2 were almost entirely Buddhist. They were a notably violent group. The Buddhist gestalt that the world we apprehend through our senses is only an illusion allows a person to remain distant from atrocities he is witnessing or committing.

Efforts for peace in Sri Lanka in the struggle between the Hindu Tamils and the majority Sinhalese were sabotaged for years by the Buddhist Sinhalese clergy. The conquest of the Tamils ended the conflict.

Generally one can find in any religion the tradition one wishes to follow.
Posted by david f, Monday, 20 September 2010 2:27:46 PM
Thank you for a wonderful article Geoff.

Without conscious thought or recognition for many years; I have practiced Buddhist philosophies!

Each year my son somehow is landed with a Buddhism assignment despite being a catholic, another a few weeks ago. It is through these assignments and the fact I enjoy reading up on Buddhism, that I noticed quite a few of the philosophies adopted over the years I had exhibited and been told I exhibit in my disposition well before reading up on the Buddhism way of life/philosophies.

Respect peace and wisdom!

Long way to go though!
Posted by we are unique, Tuesday, 21 September 2010 11:27:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy