The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Keeping Rudd out of Gillard's hair > Comments

Keeping Rudd out of Gillard's hair : Comments

By Malcolm Colless, published 14/9/2010

Kevin Rudd’s lack of popularity within the Labor Party is echoed through the corridors of the foreign service.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"Kevin Rudd in the background still has power over this government, which, no doubt, he loathes."
Posted by RaeBee, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 11:32:18 AM

He won't have much power over individuals or groups in the back or front rooms, but he will by being aloof and duplicitous as is his scorpion nature.
Posted by McReal, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 11:45:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I cant understand the critiscism of the independents in this article. The critiscism of their support for the incumbent government would apply equally to them if they had supported Abbott. They had to chose one or the other. We elected them for their intellect - the idea that they had to vote for the conservatives because they took their seats off of the conservatives is an insult to their constituents.

So he considered becoming a minister. So what, he is a politician. It is about time the Liberals and in particular the Nationals started taking regional areas more seriously - otherwise there will be so many independents elected to future parliaments that we are always in a position where they are forced with this decision.
Posted by Dennis U, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 12:16:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
RaeBee I agree that there is probably nothing on earth which will keep Rudd out of Gillard's hair.

Rudd and Gillard have to work together in this very important area and I don't see how this will be possible.

Gillard seems to have little interest in, or understanding of foreign affairs, and Rudd gave the appearance of being a prime minister on constant holiday with foreign affairs being the excuse in his previous life.

Rudd certainly didn't achieve all that much in our own region - or anywhere else, for that matter.

Once again we are to see Rudd and his ego strutting the world stage
and it is to be hoped he does no harm other than to the taxpayers pocket.

Ibbit
Posted by Ibbit, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 12:36:31 PM
I hope Mr Rudd does not visit any strip clubs in America. He might run into someone's stepdaughter. (lighten up guys its a joke).
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 1:22:46 PM
runner, hope he does to both!
Posted by McReal, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 2:36:40 PM
Dennis U,

I believe you are wrong on two counts.

Firstly, the independents didn’t “have” to support anybody, they could have remained – well - independent. That would mean backing only policies they agreed with. This would have resulted in an even more precarious government than we have now, or sent us back to the polls. I can see why this would have disadvantages, but it has some positives too – it could have produced a sustainable majority for one of the major parties. Certainly, there was no compulsion on the independents to support either side.

Secondly, given their policies, their histories and their constituencies, it must have come as a shock in many of their electorates that they supported Labor. In Oakeshott’s electorate the voting was 47% Independent (Oakeshott), 34% Nationals, 13% Labour, 4% Green.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-15508-130.htm

I think the “insult" to "constituents” was for Oakeshott to deliver a Labor-Green alliance Government.
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 2:50:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy