The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > No room for the Roma > Comments

No room for the Roma : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 14/9/2010

The French Government has begun a campaign to expel many of the 15,000 Roma who currently live in there.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It shows the state of our tertiary sector that such rubbish could be written by an academic, a professor no less, at a university like Sydney.

Academics who live in their trendy suburbs don't feel the effects of crime like the great majority of ordinary people.

Perhaps we should import the Gypsies instead. Then when they bring their crime with them and attack foreign students, the same professors could appear on TV lamenting how 'intolerant' Australia is. They could then go home with a warm fuzzy feeling and sip lattes and talk with their friends about how good they are and how uncivilized the great unwashed are.
Posted by dane, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 7:32:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen
I’m not sure I understand you’re point, but if you’re asking whether I give more weight on demographic issues to the views of a professor of population than an uneducated racist, the answer is yes – although I quite often disagree with professors too. I’m not sure what that makes me.
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 11:33:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I recall an incident in Italy about 3 years ago when the Camora (Naples Mafia) torched an entire Roma settlement on the outskirts of the city.

Several people were injured but the local Police just stood back and watched.

It's interesting how justice and protection under the law can be so selective, even in the most enlightened and civilised countries.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 15 September 2010 8:56:21 AM
The French writer, Gustave Flaubert, once came upon an encampment of gypsies. He wrote of it thus:

"A week ago I was enraptured by an encampment of gypsies who had stopped in Rouen. This is the third time I've seen them, each time with new pleasure. The wonderful thing is that they are arousing the "Hatred" of the "Bourgeois", even though they were harmless as lambs. The crowd looked its great disapproval when I gave them a few sous....This kind of hatred stems from something very deep and complex. It is to be found in all "champions of law and order". It's the hatred felt for the Bedouin, the Heretic, the philosopher, the hermit, the Poet. And there is fear in the hatred."
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 15 September 2010 9:13:21 AM
Sorry, but the Roma they're targeting are NOT French citizens and are illegally squatting on the land (and not even touching the generally high crime rates associated with Roma).

The French are well within their rights to boot them out.
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 15 September 2010 9:47:12 AM
Dear King Hazza,

Absolument! - your solution is representative of the Bourgeois way. Those who are bound within society's chains will always resent and exclude those who are free and who do not "play the game".....
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 15 September 2010 10:12:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy