The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reclaiming marriage from the great big Christian hijack > Comments

Reclaiming marriage from the great big Christian hijack : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 10/9/2010

No democratic government should tolerate Christians, or any other religion, defining marriage and dictating its practices in this country.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All
You can have same sex union, but not same sex maarriage. We don't want wooly woofs infiltrating marriage.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 3:35:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kipp,

Look at my Spanish example. They took away "mother" and "father" on birth certificates. What do think about this? It's these sort of ramifications that takes away the rights of heterosexuals.
Posted by Constance, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 9:13:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kipp, et al?

Sorry, left out "you". Again - What do you think about the Spanish birth certificate issue? Doesn't anyone care about the repercussions of this same sex marriage thingo? Are there any deep thinkers out there who can handle truths? Before other people's rights get hijacked?

This silence says it all.

I have nothing against homosexuals at all - just the small minority who wish to exploit and change for the worse long-standing heterosexual traditional conventions. Children's rights, please!
Posted by Constance, Thursday, 16 September 2010 8:01:01 PM
I don't have time right now to write a proper response but this article needs some research. Particularly with regards to our democracy ensuring religious freedom. where did that idea come from. we don't have human rights legislation in most states (and in some it is limited like the AD Act in nsw where you can claim based on only a few heads, religion not being one of them and even then proving a case is near impossible (see about a billion articles, an easy one to follow being "reflections on the onus and standard of proof in anti-discrimination complaints" by Hennessy. Find out the difference between the terms "christian" and "catholic" before you write another article where you jump from talking about Christianity to the catholic church. and get an understanding on human rights law before you say something as ignorant like "our democracy ensures religious freedom". That couldn't be further from the truth (including with sex and sexuality based discrimination, racial discrimination) and I have been for many cases where homosexuals and transexuals have been wrongly discriminated against. But don't make the mistake that talking about important social issues = discrimination. I'm sure that homosexual couples could be very loving parents and children should be able to be adopted by loving homosexual couples (and gay and straight singles), but your kidding yourself if you don't think that all things being equal, it isn't best for kids to be in a family with a mother and a father (yes that goes for singles wishing to adopt as well). I'm all for homosexual rights on many issues, but when it comes to adopting kids, the only rights that matters are those of the kids. If adults come off second best as a result, gay straight pink blue whatever, too bad.
Posted by steve718, Saturday, 18 September 2010 2:06:21 PM
Part 2: And with marriage, all for homosexual rights to marry and have equal rights in relation to tax, next of kin ect. But don't right off christian or catholic values because you don't like how the catholics handled the child abuse atrocity (and I say that as a Catholic). Christian views have defined much of what is good in our legal system and political system (you might be forgetting that after terra nullius was declared (ie what we did to the aboriginals) this country became an Anglican based state (hence prayers in question time and anglican religion being taught in state schools). There was also a period of persecution against Catholics in this country. The good the bad and the ugly are all a part of our history. Prefacing your article with "I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water" and then going on to do exactly that is just dumb.
Posted by steve718, Saturday, 18 September 2010 2:06:41 PM
Constance,

The silence is a result of your argument being irrelevant and therefore not worth responding too.

Your Spanish anecdote is an example of a poor choice of words and probably political correctness gone 5-6 steps too far. I agree, it's stupid. But it is not an inevitable result of giving equal rights of marriage to gay couples.

You are seriously grasping at straws.
Posted by TrashcanMan, Monday, 20 September 2010 9:12:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy