The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reclaiming marriage from the great big Christian hijack > Comments

Reclaiming marriage from the great big Christian hijack : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 10/9/2010

No democratic government should tolerate Christians, or any other religion, defining marriage and dictating its practices in this country.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
KenH, the poll was conducted by Galaxy, and I'm quite sure they will inform you fully of their methods if you are troubled by the results.

My understanding of polling methods, which I admit is limited, is that results are extrapolated from a chosen group to the wider population.

They aren't referendums.

But as I said, it is not my area of expertise.

Thank you for engaging with my article. I am sorry the thought of 60% of Australians being in favour of sane sex marriage caused you such outrage.
Jennifer.
Posted by briar rose, Monday, 13 September 2010 4:02:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can those who oppose same sex marriage, explain what affect same sex marriage will have on them.
Posted by Kipp, Monday, 13 September 2010 8:03:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
briar rose
It's you who's personalizing the argument not jefferson. it's dishonest of you to say you need government to make a public record when obviously you don't. And how can you talk about gays "reclaiming" marriage from the christians. The gays never had it in the first place so what are you talking about? What makes your preference any less of a hijack than the christians? You are trying to have it both ways, saying a fact 'just is' if it's in your favour, but not accepting that it just is if it's against. how would it affect you if gays couldn't register their relationships?
Posted by Sienna, Monday, 13 September 2010 8:58:20 PM
Sienna
1. I don't recall suggesting that Jefferson is "personalising" the argument. Whatever that means.
2. I did not at any time say that I need the government to make a public record of anything, least of all marriage.
3.I did not talk about gays "reclaiming" marriage from Christians. The article is about non Christians reclaiming marriage from Christians, including gay non Christians and possibly even gay Christians. I state quite explicitly that marriage is for everyone. Perhaps you have not read the article.
4.My "preference" does not exclude others from marriage,my "preference" is that everyone is included in the marriage registry, if that is their choice, on the grounds that they are human beings, rather than on the grounds of their sexual orientation.
5. I have not at any time said a fact "just is." I don't subscribe to that form of logic.
6. Gays cannot currently register their relationships, and this does not affect my personal life in any way at all. I do, however, have the right to express my objection to discrimination.

A hijack means you take something away from someone else and deny them the right to have it. My position is that every couple, same sex or hetero, should be allowed to have a registered marriage if they want that. Therefore I am not seeking to take something away from someone. I am seeking to include people who are currently excluded.

It is unfortunate if my argument for inclusion of same sex marriage on the grounds of our common humanity is offensive to you. You will just have to deal with that, as we all have to deal with things we may not agree with.

As I suggested to Jefferson, you can always write an article for OLO disputing my argument. You have just as much right to express you views as I do, and OLO is exceptionally good at publishing many points of view.
Thank you for your interest.
Jennifer.
Posted by briar rose, Monday, 13 September 2010 9:29:31 PM
"The gays never had it in the first place so what are you talking about?"

But they DID!
Heck even one of the Emperors of Rome was married to another man. Same-sex marriage was outlawed only in Rome after the Christians took over. Same-sex traditions even including marriage in much of the world only became outlawed with British Colonial Law. Hindu Gods even had same-sex marriages.

Despite concerted attempts to destroy and erase same-sex and Transgender traditions including amongst the Indigenous people of Australia and our surrounding neighbours of Polynesia we still know they existed and some still remain intact.
Posted by Bayne MacGregor, Monday, 13 September 2010 10:53:04 PM
Hi Briar Rose.
Could it be heterosexual couples only register because the Government requires it (and charges a fee for this registration)? If same sex couples have to register it merely adds to the coffers of Government. Why would anyone want this?
In a Christian marriage, the couple want God sanctify the union. To then have to register with the Government is complying with the laws of the state. And it takes a fee to register this union.
In a non religious secular marriage, the State alone sanctions the union. And it takes a fee to register this union.

Dear Kipp, I could respond if I could be bothered getting out the dictionary to work out the meaning of 'penulimate' paragraph. Are you showing off
Posted by WWG, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 3:19:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All