The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ready, willing and able > Comments

Ready, willing and able : Comments

By George Seymour, published 14/9/2010

We need to work towards social inclusion through meaningful employment for people with disabilities.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I agree with much of this. As a father of a young man who has struggled his whole life with an intellectual disability I have seen at close hand the rejection and dissapointment that goes with not being able to do the things everyone around you takes for granted. It is largely true that what is holding him back is the attitudes of others - not just his own ability. All the UN conventions and inquiries will not make his life better until there is a change in the minds of his fellow citizens.

Australia has seen a lot of public awareness campaigns - some very succesful like seat belt wearing and sunscreen - I think it is about time we had significant public awareness campaign highlighting the lives of people with disabilities.
Posted by Dennis U, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 11:58:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Dennis and All

In woolworths this year a few young adults with various disabilities have assisted me with different things when requiring assistance. Their working colleagues who do not exhibit any major disability are unable to assist with the location of items. I congratulate Woolworths on employing many people with disabilities; however believe all employees should be given pay rises for dealing with so many people, their moods, and working extra shifts when short staffed.

On topic, most of the workplaces I travel and liaise with have employed people with autism,down syndrome and slowness in people, as a result of accidents, for well over 20 years. Both the public service and private enterprise.

However, this has been occurring in higher percentages in cities as opposed to country cities [lack of funding, training and resources] and a few years ago, I noticed that the numbers of people who exhibit disabilities [mentally] are not working in many of the roles, they had once worked, through both the public service and private enterprise. Training and resources have decreased, which is unfair and wrong for not only people with disabilities, for colleagues also who have benefited greatly from the wonderful assistance that many people with disabilities perform.

Last week I received a request from a mother of a son who has disabilities, if he could work in a certain private enterprise position that was located in a dangerous hands on environment. The request was turned down by my superior, as a result of OH&S. YET, when I work with people [some with mental disabilities], the majority learn by rote and adhere to all safety procedures and general procedures, over many years, more than other co-workers.

I recommended the public service [in a male hands on role] that may assist this fellow in the interim. The woman's son is extremely disappointed, as her son has for some time, implored that he would prefer working physically in an all male environment. [Socially he works well with males as opposed to females]
Posted by we are unique, Sunday, 19 September 2010 11:35:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very good article George,

Government is not doing enough to ensure that the disabled are given all the full benefits of being Australian. Hopefully the government will accept the need for a national disability scheme, when the productivity commission reports, which I think would go a long way to addressing the inequalities arising from the chance of being born or acquiring a disability.
Posted by Dooley Dan, Wednesday, 22 September 2010 6:15:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy