The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Justice and fairness for asylum seekers, not just compassion > Comments

Justice and fairness for asylum seekers, not just compassion : Comments

By Osmond Chiu, published 1/9/2010

The last few months have been very depressing to those who believe in a humane policy towards asylum seekers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
"That is, that over the past few decades we have allowed in, through some channel, many extreme-religious, xenophobic, dishonest, anti-western, anti-semetic, criminally inclined persons,...."

I don't think that there is much that either you or I can do about Labor Party preselection.

This was a really great article. It makes a lot of common sense points. I'm kinda surprised that a union official wrote it! But I mean that in a nice way.
Posted by David Jennings, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 12:38:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Osmond...how about some justice and fairness for Australian ! ?

How about adopting the Swiss model, if anyone is sponsored to come here, (whether they be flunky lawyers in the assylum industry or lobby groups.. or you)

I think all those supporting country shoppers should pay the legal bills and repatriation costs to send them back.

That to me is very very fair and quite just.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 5:59:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I think all those supporting country shoppers should pay the legal bills and repatriation costs to send them back."

What an absurdly contradictory statement. Those of us who support asylum seekers want them to STAY HERE. So why should we pay to send them back?

You're the who wants to send them back. YOU pay for it.

Al Gore might be rich but he might need to deal with a few inconvenient facts :-P
Just like Osmond pointed out.
Posted by David Jennings, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 6:11:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen states that the labor party is in it's death throws having been taken over by all sorts of activists, most of whom have little, if any interest in the workers, or any other Australian.

I am in agreement that it has been taken over by all sorts of activists, however, reports of its death are premature. However, the Labor Party does not represent the working classes any more.

Michael Thompson wrote an informative book on this topic entitled "Labor Without Class: The Gentrification of the ALP".

An article on Michael Thompson appeared in the Weekend Australian 28/29 September as follows:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/my-party-was-trashed-by-the-middle-class/story-fn59niix-1225910722814
Posted by franklin, Wednesday, 1 September 2010 7:19:11 PM
The Labor party has been taken over by activists? How come they seem so lacking in ideas then?

@ALGOREisRICH - we're already paying their legal bills and repatriation costs. That's the point, I'd rather not.
Posted by Dick, Thursday, 2 September 2010 1:34:43 PM
Nothing in Osmands article is new, it’s just a re-hash of the tired old drivel that we’ve heard (and debunked) a thousand times before.

The most discussion-worthy tit bit that might arise from it is “Why are our universities turning out so many soppy and gullible types who get hooked on the first “social justice” meme that comes their way, and thereafter are little better than automatons ( just imagine if their energy and talent had been re-directed into hard science--we’d probably have had a cure for cancer by now!)

Osmond claims that the public has lost sympathy with the Elysium seekers narrative because the advocates case has relied on “complex technical arguments”, which the public found too cerebral to follow and that advocates need to get a more emotive (read: devious) – incredible!

Well, advocates have never been short on story telling ( or deviousness!) Story telling has always been a major component in their arsenal –in many cases their ONLY real weapon. The problem is that people are a waking up that it is just that: STORIES /MAKE BELIEVE and not reflective of the reality.

Let’s look at some of these realities:
-- We saw how the hijackers of the Tampa and the Oceanic Viking had a short list of countries which THEY would accept –and all on that list were (surprise! ,surprise!) affluent western countries!
--We saw how they usually jetted into Indonesia or Malaysia, changed into civvies, then boated the rest of the way—so as to appear suitably poor and unwashed.
-- We heard how they used mobiles to call 000, for rescue (and perhaps, order pizza!) from off the WA coast.
Posted by Horus, Thursday, 2 September 2010 10:32:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy