The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 1000Mbps is sexy, it’s cool, but is it worth $43bn? > Comments

1000Mbps is sexy, it’s cool, but is it worth $43bn? : Comments

By Jeff Hosking, published 17/8/2010

There has been a lot of hype about the national broadband network but do we really need its speed and capacity now?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Ah- But will it improve my chances with the girls?
Or will it be the end of Civilization and the beginning of Year ZERO?

Come on- A bit less moral panic on both sides ,,,Please
Posted by pedestrian, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 2:55:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For the first time in my life a new development in infrastructure is being proposed, something along the lines of the installation of electrical wiring of our nation at the beginning of the 20th century - when it was only for lighting and other applications had not even been conceived of.

And here come the naysayers - the reasons why Australia is always two steps behind and forever playing catch-up.

BUT, we get to choose. We can choose a patch-work system when we vote this weekend, the one touted by Tony Abbott.

Or we can choose to show some vision, vision which has been lacking for the past 40 years and actually plan for a future, that we won't see but our kids will.

I note that the same people who don't get the impact of our pollution on our environment are the same people who don't get the infinite possibilities offered by fibre-optics. Misunderstandings of the limits of wireless - it gets full easily and quickly, not convenient for peak load and often drops out - crucial if medical aid is being provided online.

Instead of passing judgement, learn. Learn what fibre-optics are about, then you can choose.

http://www.ehow.com/fiber-optics/
Posted by Johnny Rotten, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 3:10:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The government went to the last election with a broadband policy costed at about 5 billion.

It all changed when Rudd and Conroy wanted to shaft Telstra after the arrogant Sol decided to put in a 13 page tender.

Most businesses have fibre connections, so it is purely consumer broadband we are talking about, so the economic benefits are overstated.

Bosses will always want their staff at the office. There is no trust. Never will be. Remote desktop to the office uses FA bandwidth.

No matter how good video conferencing is, execs just need to speak face to face. ie need travel perks.

There are cost savings in the government rolling out the network since it stops the Foxtel/Optus type duplication of infrastructure.

The 'tech heads' will obviously be all for it, who wouldn't want a new toy paid for by the tax payer. Read their opinions like you'd read a fund managers opinion on the need for 20% super.

It's about time the government looked further than the next 3 years for infrastructure projects.

The nature of technology means the risk of a white elephant is greater because of the pace of change.

That also means that the current infrastructure could be outdated soon.

With the current levels of satisfaction with the existing network, this smells like a solution looking for a problem. Julia finally found a problem (Online GP Consultations) but it reeks of desperation.

It doesn't matter what the speed of our broadband is when no work is done on our connection to other countries. No use having a wonderful network of 4 lane motorways that all lead to a 1 lane dirt road.

Who knows what it will really end up costing, who knows what the economic benefits will actually be. The governmnet wont release any business case. That is suspicious.

The above possibly doesn't matter. We cant always expect every infrastructure project to be profitable. Remember providing a service? Some things need to be built and private industry only wants to build things for profit.

I'm not sure this needs to be built right now.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 3:16:14 PM
Houllebecq

"I'm not sure this needs to be built right now."

I said something similar about starting a family, have no regrets now, having recently survived prostrate cancer, I made it... most of me made it.
Posted by Johnny Rotten, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 3:28:18 PM
People were just as doubtful about early computers, flying machines, mobile phones, and even cars...but they were all embraced and became central to many of our lives. This will be the same.

And anyhow, if you wait until there is the demand, you end up rushing the job, cutting corners, and always playing catchup. That does not make sense. Get the job done.

The NBN is a good thing, and more should be invested in Australia's future in many different areas of society and technology.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 4:01:23 PM
On the note of country towns- if they get access, this would be a VERY good thing.
Imagine how much pressure it would take off the cities, or even most towns, when more people are able to work or manage tasks from their home computer, instead of having to cram in as close as possible to their office, and commute/drive between twice a day, just to do the exact same thing?

I'd say Labor is looking pretty attractive right now (and I never believed I would say those words).
Tony Abbot's plan is so ridiculous it would be better off discarded entirely.
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 17 August 2010 4:05:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy