The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Word of warning Auntie - your slip is showing > Comments

Word of warning Auntie - your slip is showing : Comments

By Graham Young, published 10/8/2010

The ABC is supposed to be unbiased, but her Internet trail shows she has a lean

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Manorina, Ludwig and skeptic seem to have missed an important point: if commercial media are biased to the right, that's their business. They're private entities, and can do more or less as they like. They'll be judged by ratings and income.

The ABC, on the other hand, is a public entity, whose charter specifically states that it must be, 'accurate, impartial and objective and thereby avoid bias'.

Not so long ago, I too would have laughed off suggestions of ABC bias, but if I see one more photo of a smiling Julia juxtaposed with a shifty-looking Tony, then my growing suspicions will be confirmed.
Posted by Clownfish, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 9:56:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Clownfish

You mean there are photos of Tony Abbott NOT looking shifty? Here's me thinking that his appearance was just the natural alignment of his features.
Posted by Severin, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 10:12:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed, Severin, there are.

Just as there are photos of Julia Gillard *not* looking like a smug ferret. ;)
Posted by Clownfish, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 10:19:47 AM
Thank goodness for the ABC.
Can you imagine the Australian media landscape without it ?

If it injects a little intellectual equilibrium into the mostly mindless blather of commercial media in the country - that can only be a good thing.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 10:20:53 AM
The ABC is not Left wing; there is no Left perspective in this country. Neither is it unduly biased. The editorial line of the Science Show, for instance, has always been opinionated, but it is based on conservative Liberal Rationalism; whatever its editorial line, the content of the show is based on hard science--which of course has zero impact on minimifidianists.
The ABC media mostly presents "intellectual" fare (even its satire) that is bound to be confronting to those who "react" rather than "think". Kerry O'Brien grills Labor MP's even harder than he does the conservatives for mine.
Conservative viewers and listeners of course much prefer the "balanced reporting" of Alan Jones, Stan Zemanek (who gets a run on "Insiders" btw!) and the goofy anchors of "Sunrise", "Current Affair" and the rest of the motley crew.
The ABC is not biased, it is Enlightened within a generally benighted media spectrum.
Posted by Squeers, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 10:48:23 AM
Squeers, I didn't realise that Conservatives listened to the dead.

Stan is certainly an "insider", although he hasn't much company in the box he's inside of.
Posted by Bugsy, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 12:20:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy