The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Taking democracy for granted > Comments

Taking democracy for granted : Comments

By Warren Reed, published 4/8/2010

In a myriad small ways the glue that keeps our society together is being eroded.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
This article deserves to be up on the index page.

Disdain for the rule book, do I detect as a theme?

Disdain for the Constitution, in turn, or perhaps even having gone before, as an underlying theme?
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Wednesday, 4 August 2010 10:26:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“Three key elements provide its [democracy’s] adhesive power: trust, responsibility and accountability.” Having been peripheral to the investigation of a £200,000,000 bank fraud it was clear that the multiple fraudsters involved worked to that set of criteria, even if its expression was ‘if all the pigs have their snout in the trough no one squeals’. There was total trust amongst the players about their self interest, all players had roles they met driven by self interest being achieved through mutual action by default, and the rules were clear, do the wrong thing and revenge is total.

If memory is correct Costello held the good of society emerges from individuals being able to pursue their interests. Does the GFC illustrate where self interest amongst the leading players heads? Who balances the interests of self against the interests of others?

Something else is needed – something that defines what underpins society. If life is no more than self interest then democracy is a sham. If there are deeper eternal values that defines ‘who am I’, ‘what is society’, and ‘what is the relationship between the two’ then that is what will drive the agenda.

The values of “trust, responsibility and accountability” works amongst thieves. Another thing is needed to define what the right thing to do is.
Posted by Paul @ Bathurst, Wednesday, 4 August 2010 11:12:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good analysis Paul@Bathurst.
Got any suggestions for the source or principles of what extra is required? Maybe the common ethic that can be extracted from the major religions and schools of moral philosophy?
Posted by Fencepost, Wednesday, 4 August 2010 6:49:54 PM
Warren, I usually like your stuff but forgive me if I'm wrong: aren't you defending the man who had Dr Haneef held captive and (i think) incommunicado for 28 harrowing days?

We need to get back to basics and remember the old Golden Rule. I guess I'd better spell it out because too many might have forgotten it. "Do unto others ans you would have them do to you. (I except masochists, of course!)
Posted by Robert99, Monday, 9 August 2010 3:19:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy