The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dispossession by stealth > Comments

Dispossession by stealth : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 25/10/2005

Stephen Hagan asks how impoverished Indigenous Australians will be able to pay for private home ownership.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
On a lot of remote communities, indigenous people are living on 'family' grounds, which do not belong to an 'individual' person but to a family-group, as compared to non-indigenous. Surrounding land is still tied in with ceremonial and sacred traditions and culture. Some areas are for general use, while others remain forbidden to men or women and children. What about when ceremonial business is on, and dreaming tracks which cut through country which looks unoccupied and available for sale?
Each indigenous group has its own tradition, culture, and stories about the countryside which reflects their customs - so how are you going to decide who owns the block, who can sell it ?

I think you should all be giving more consideration to your ideas before you leap into 'dreamland', and give solutions when you do not not the full content of the problem. How many of you actually live on a community, not just visit one. How many of you are living in an area where traditional culture still plays a part in the lives of people?
Sometimes by trying to assist, one creates greater problems than solutions by not knowing the subject well, do not generalise about communities, or about different indigenous groups - they are not all the same - except when looked at through ignorant eyes.
Posted by geli, Monday, 31 October 2005 10:38:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BOAZ_David, in reference to the content of your posting Sunday, 30 October 2005 8:05:39 PM, in particular your offer to me to do something about "real world solutions". I am happy to oblige, however, but not at this point in time. I am at the present conducting a workshop on community development dealing with a number of topics namely community regeneration. However, i will reply via a written article to be posted on this site in the near future. You and others can respond to this then. cheers
Posted by Christopher Davis, Tuesday, 1 November 2005 9:07:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fact is and always will be that all migrants,from anywhere in this world,who came here due to the colonisation of Australia,are here living on stolen land,and John Howard still has not asked the true owners, if we all can remain here,until that is done,we for sure are guilty of living in a stolen land.
Posted by KAROOSON, Saturday, 11 February 2006 6:52:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy