The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nauru solution a dodgy deal > Comments

Nauru solution a dodgy deal : Comments

By Susan Metcalfe, published 19/7/2010

Any notion of returning to our past treatment of refugees in Nauru must be taken off the table by both major parties in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Well I said I wouldn't, but I sort of have to respond to Sonya's post. Now Sonya, my reason's for not financially sponsering asylum seekers relate to having a family of five adults (three young and studying) on one income with only a few government tax breaks and no direct government financial assistance. Before family health issues cut in, I was dealing with helping refugees settle in, and it was a privelge to get to know these people. I'd recommend you meet a few and talk to them what it was like to become a refugee or asylum seeker.

Now would I do what these people have done? On another thread someone was advocating ASIO execute people. I suspect the people to be killed were people like me. Now if there was a coup and violent people got control, would I remove my family to safety as fast as I could if my associates and their families were disapearing? Yes. It would mean abandoning our home, selling our possessions for a fraction of it's value and relying on our extended family to discreetly come up with money to pay people to help us leave, but the alternative would be worse.

Would I stop in the first country we arrived at? Yes, if it was safe, say New Zealand. A asian refugee camp I would not think safe from violence though and would likely spell death for my son who is fully dependent on medication to keep him alive. He would last about 48 hours without it I suspect. I would keep going until I had my family to safety. Hopefully I would be able to smuggle my family's documents out. But if there was militia on every street stopping people (more to rob them probably than arrest them) and my name was on a watch list, well I'd probably ditch my documents as a safety thing.

I'd recommend to that you and the turn around the boats brigade try imagine walking in the asylum seekers shoes. It's an uncomfortable place. Try for some empathy - make for a happier world.
Posted by JL Deland, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 9:30:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo – I agree, TPV are a humane method of extending protection, without extending an ongoing commitment.

However, they should also be used sparingly.

For instance, the influx of economic refugees from Sri Lanka are predominately Tamil and are arriving having previously failed to

1 obtain 50% representation in Sri Lankan Parliament (when they represent less than 10% the population) and

2 failed to overthrow the rightful government of Sri Lanka through terrorism.

Two further points

1 There is, no longer a war occurring in Sri Lanka, therefore there is no conflict to escape.

2 Tamils have apparently been in Sri Lanka for a couple of thousand years. If they have failed to assimilate in those 2,000 years, there is very little expectation for them to properly assimilate into the mainstream of Australian life

Conclusion – Since Multiculturalism is an exercise in Politically Correct bull dust, the last thing we want are more people who come here with an inability and resistance to assimilation.
Posted by Stern, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 11:03:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sonya2

JL Deland has given a good account of the reasons for viewing refugees sympathetically.

As to supporting refugees, I do a little both through my church’s refugee support group and through financial donations to organisations that help refugees.

You raise an important question when you ask why refugees risk their own lives and those of their families to get here. The answer is not that they are monsters or heartless. Ask yourself what it would take for you to take those risks and you’ll find the answer – you would only do it if your alternatives were even worse. So do they.

One of the refugees I know fled a refugee camp because militias were raiding the camps and kidnapping kids to make into child soldiers. She didn’t want her 9-year-old son to be one of them. Do you think she was wrong to leave the camp and try to come to Australia?
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 12:31:48 PM
My comment of 'sponsor them if you are all for it' - The answer I got was - O I can't because I have my own family to look after - or - I do through my church -

Well that is exactly what I thought! The point I was trying to make is that it seemingly appears that our country do not have the financial means to help Australian's let alone others. Ask some of the folk that live in the country. The teachers from those areas thought it a joke when our government was handing out computers to all school children. The folk from the country stressed that the computers were of no use because they didn't have proper electricity and water, so what the hell was the use of a computer. Having electricity and water would have been far more advantageous than a computer that they could not use anyway.

Do you see my point. Also it is a fact that there are just over half of the Australian people living in unstable, insecure housing and further more will never have the funds to do so. Now this is because they do not earn enough or are too old (but fit) to qualify for a loan to purchase a home. Some have had to resort to living in caravan parks or live in extreme conditions. Those folk have no choice as it is a matter of survival! How the hell are we going to look after our own people let alone others that are really not fleeing from a war zone county. Look, unless you are one of those that have come through the back door and are willing to rally to their cause, or trying to gain votes so as to feather your own nest financially(now be honest PLEASE!) than you had better look at the Australian people and see that our government ensures that our funding goes into the right entities first and foremost
Posted by SONYA2, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 2:55:39 PM
I may also say that this immigration 'thingy're: refugeism, is just a big ploy to avoid the true and real core issues that need to be address with in the Australian community. Is is because the gove. just can not get their heads around what is truly needed for the Australian people. An excellent article would be on 'Who holds most of the wealth in Australia'- 'who has the biggest bit of the cake' - whom of the Australian workers retire on a life time huge superfund that does not run out, not matter what! Whom of those folk can travel (gold card) no questioned ask when ever they want. Whom of those folk (over 50-55) can jump into another position that pays so well it would make the majority of the population have a heart attack (well almost anyway). Listen ladies and gentlemen I for one would put my arm up for this type of opportunity!

Let us all rally towards looking after our own first 'cause if we can do that, then we can help others...
If you would like to help those asylum seekers - refuges, put your prays into your pocket and send money to them, so that they can get on their feet. Just keep it between you and them and not drag everyone into this fiasco!
Posted by SONYA2, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 3:02:49 PM
Sonya2

So, if a person sympathetic to refugees has too many financial commitments to donate money, they are hypocritical. If they are able to donate, they are neglecting their responsibilities to fellow Australians.

Ah well, we can’t win with you.

The amount that our government spends on assisting refugees is a tiny proportion of its budget. If we want more services from government, and are willing to pay the taxes to pay for them, we should let them know at the upcoming election. The issue is completely irrelevant to our refugee intake.

Your accusation that I am either a refugee myself or stand to gain materially from our acceptance of refugees is without foundation or merit.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 21 July 2010 3:30:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy