The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Refugees seeking asylum > Comments

Refugees seeking asylum : Comments

By Stephen Austin, published 5/7/2010

The issue of asylum seekers has weighed on the conscience of Australians for a long time now.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Egon Kisch was a Jewish communist and anti-war activist he was a vocal critic of Adolf Hitler’s regime.
When Kisch wanted to come to visit Australia in 1934, Menzies pointed out that “every civilized country had the right to determine who should or should not be allowed in”, and that “since Kisch was a revolutionary and that revolution involved violence, he was not to be permitted entry”.

Did you notice that nothing has changed?
Posted by lorry, Tuesday, 6 July 2010 1:20:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The widening gap between global resettlement needs and the quotas offered by states will be at the core of annual tripartite consultations between governments, the non-governmental sector, and UNHCR. This year's consultations, which are taking place in Geneva from July 6th to 8th, are co-chaired by Sweden and UNHCR. Dan Eliasson, Director-General of the Swedish Migration Board, and High Commissioner Guterres will open the meeting.

"I am truly disappointed with the states in Europe not taking a higher humanitarian responsibility for resettlement, and I am seriously concerned considering the situation for refugees suffering in camps and cities all over the world," said Eliasson.

With an annual resettlement quota of 1,900 places, Sweden tops the list of 13 European countries (Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden and the UK). Last year Belgium, Germany, Italy and Luxembourg also implemented ad hoc resettlement programmes.

In September 2009, UNHCR welcomed the European Commission's proposal for the establishment of a Joint EU Resettlement Programme. UNHCR encourages greater European engagement in refugee resettlement. At present, around 90% of the refugees resettled every year are accepted by the United States, Canada and Australia.
Posted by lorry, Tuesday, 6 July 2010 1:46:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One Hanson supports Gillard while another Hanson condemns her!

PM Gillard yesterday said:

"I'd like to sweep away any sense that people should close down any debate, including this debate, through a sense of self-censorship or political correctness.

People should feel free to say what they feel. For people to say they're anxious about border security doesn't make them intolerant. It certainly doesn't make them a racist - it means they're expressing a genuine view."

Pauline Hanson has come out in support: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/hanson-praises-gillard-on-boatpeople-policy/story-e6frg6nf-1225888260099

She said; “That's what I said in the parliament in 1996 and it's what I'm saying now. It's only when you have a true debate and let the people of Australia have a say that we can start to make the right decisions.”

Meanwhile, Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young has condemned Gillard for her comments and for any hardening of policy on asylum seekers.

Greens leader Bob Brown was appalling in his support for Hanson-Young on Lateline last night.

Of COURSE asylum seeker / border protection policy needs to be tightened up.

Of COURSE we need to be able to have an open debate about it.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 6 July 2010 7:31:51 AM
Sarah Hanson-Young is "OF COURSE" correct - Gillard's weasel words are clearly a dog-whistle aimed at attracting the xenophobic vote, as we see this morning both the ALP and the Opposition scrabbling to appear "tougher" on boat people.

I think that this tawdry strategy is likely to backfire on Gillard - many of the voters who had deserted the ALP under Rudd for the Greens and subsequently (according to the all-important polls) drifted back on Gillard's coup, will now return to the Greens, since they are the only party displaying decency and humanity with respect to asylum seekers.

Sure there should be a debate in which issues surrounding asylum seekers, refugees, visa overstayers and 'skilled' immigration are discussed honestly for a change. However, it seems to me that thus far all the exaggerations, distortion of facts and outright vilification have been coming from the xenophobic contingent. Somehow, I doubt that the way the "debate" is being framed is going to result in a dispassionate and factual discussion.

I suspect the dog-whistle will work for Gillard as it did for Howard, but I rather hope the ALP lose the forthcoming election on the basis of this cynical and inhumane strategy. The ALP and the Coalition are just as bad as each other.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 6 July 2010 8:00:43 AM
Oh my..... talk about weasel words....

"this cynical and inhumane strategy."

Let's decode this:

1/ Greens need balance of power to have any voice.

2/ They can achieve this through 'marginal' seats.

3/ The don't need THAT many votes to gain possibly a win of a seat OR.. almost as important..the "preference deal" to die for.

4/ Thus.. posturing themselves as 'saviours' of the poor 'refugee' will assure them (in time) of a stronger voter base when those fully resettled "refugees" start using our laws to bring out extended family, who will also identity with the clan 'political heroes'

*quickly ducks* so CJ cannot hang a huge king hit on me....(from behind of course)

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=10631&page=0#175749

*Don't presume to do it again. If you did so to my face I'd probably drop you.*

Hey wait..
CJ.. I thought Greens believed in the peaceful resolution of conflict?

I prefer to just dialogue with people who are supposedly capable of it CJ
*friendly smile* :)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 6 July 2010 8:50:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find it quite amusing that boast people refugee advocates squawk so loud. Most of you couldn’t even afford to be refugees.

Where would YOU find $15k per person in “ready cash” to pay a people smuggler?

The hypocrisy of such social compassion is staggering. When are you sick puppies going to stick up for the poor sods that don’t have the money?
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 6 July 2010 8:52:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy