The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Et tu, Julia > Comments

Et tu, Julia : Comments

By Matthew Lilley, published 29/6/2010

All Julia Gillard did for Australian women last week was prove that she can connive, lie, backstab and bitch with the best of them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear Yabby,

If you've got some sort of inside track on all this,
well then I'd have to bow to your superior knowledge.
However all I've got to go on is my perception,
and the media. Watching TV programmes, reading
newspapers, et cetera, as well of course, the obvious,
that Kevin Rudd wasn't given enough time to achieve
what he'd set out to do, but was cut short.

Dear CJ,

Ah yes, the "Westminster System."
The illusion that the Australian government works
or should work, on the same principles as the
British government. The similarities between the two
systems are largely those of decor, like the use of
the mace. The major difference between the two systems
is that Australia is a federation, a concept totally
incomprehensible to the British. An appeal to the
Westminster system is a slogan used by Opposition
parties in an attempt to trick their opponents into
foolish resignations.

Dear Pynch,

I'm so glad that you also can see that what happened
was somewhat premature and unfair. All we can do now
is wait and see what happens next. Frankly I don't
see what Julia Gillard can hope to prove in such
a short time, if the election is to be in August.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 9:48:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"What should be the most serious of professions had morphed into a scene out of Mean Girls with the biggest upstart in a clique of 15-year-old girls clawing their way to become the new Queen Bee."

One, incredibly intelligent, well-educated female, not a group of girls.

And she was elected (unopposed!) by the caucus because Rudd refused to run! in case we forgot that little detail.

I loved Kevin Rudd and would have voted for him again, but your article, Matthew Lilley, speaks more of your hatred of women and mis-education about politics than the truth!
Posted by Elise, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 10:17:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Westralis - wOw!

I don't know why it was cathartic to read that...
Posted by Pynchme, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 7:44:05 PM
Dear Foxy,

Yes I think I can. At the very least I'm detecting the stench of rat.

I just can't let go of what I've seen in organizations when someone is trying to dislodge somebody else: deprive them of information, including if or where meetings are happening; a raised eyebrow or smirk whenever their name or something they've accomplished is mentioned; a hint here; a snippet of information there; a few well chosen favours; some chaos or fear of same generated - with the incoming hero stepping up to straighten up the mess (they've purposefully created). Sorry but I have witnessed enough of these dynamics over time not to be nauseated at it.

Someone somewhere said something like, "Oh well this is how the game is played... that's politics."

Well it may be that JG has played as well as any of them - and she'll do a good job I'm sure. She can't do any worse than any of the male contenders I suppose. As some have already predicted, there's a good chance she'll depart office in the same manner in which she entered it - but someone else will be wearing the boot.

However, I always hope that feminism will change the ways in which organizations operate - the cut-throat go gettism; the selfishness and the notion that obtaining power justifies any means including opportunism and crushing people on the way.

My ideal would have been seeing a woman voted in; then working to change the organizational culture.

But alas.

Mind you, if I read much more about Julia walking on water I am likely to feel compelled to take a *completely* opposite position. At the least, that sort of crowing increases pressure on her to perform miracles and that's neither realistic nor helpful.

pynch
Posted by Pynchme, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 8:08:49 PM
Foxy,

I guess the information that I read is simply a bit different to
yours. For one, I keep up to date with business information.Secondly
I live in a mining state, where Kevie's popularity had dropped
to 27%, so Labor caucus members knew that their seats were in for
the chop. Our perspective here, is a little different to downtown
Melbourne or Sydney.

Add in marginal seats in mining states like Qld and SA and Labor
were heading for the chop, enough caucus members could see the
writing on the wall.

*However, I always hope that feminism will change the ways in which organizations operate*

Yup Pymchme, but we know its a pipedream, for when it comes to
greed for money or power, many women behave much like many men
do, just perhaps with less open threats and even more deviant.

Just look at all those divorce battles, where the cleaner marries
the entrepreneur and then claws her way to every cent. I was amused
by the last Michael Douglas saga. He paid her our 45$ million
some 10 years ago, now he's made another movie and she is coming
back for more! So clearly women are not blessed with anything
special and there are extremely greedy women, as there are men.

Their tactics may just vary somewhat.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 9:26:33 PM
What Mat Lilley posted was his example of using temperate language to describe political action. Imagine how he'd go if he really got angry. Graham would never let any of his vituperation go to air,would you,Graham?
Matt is a real gentleman who has to learn to be a gentle and courteous man. I know you'll find it very hard Matt. All you right w(h)ingers are the same. Tony would love the email you sent in. But that's Tony. You can do better.Tony cant.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 10:10:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy