The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Changing men, changing times > Comments

Changing men, changing times : Comments

By Peter West, published 14/7/2010

Book review: 'Men’s Health and Wellbeing: An A-Z Guide' fills a gap on our bookshelves with some sound advice for men.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Cormflower,
I’ll give a description of what we will need to do in the future, which is, to get off the planet and start and colonise other places.

Life is too precious to limit it through some type of population control, or population control systems should be short term only.

So coloninisation of other places is the rather large challenge facing men in the future.

I have heard other men talking seriously about this (including Stephen Hawkins) and organisations such as NASA are of course in the process of carrying out experiments in this area, but I have not heard anyone in Australia mention it.

This includes any university academic, most of which don't seem to have any long term plans except to denigrate white males as much as possible, and to put as much taxpayer's money into their own pockets as possible.
Posted by vanna, Wednesday, 14 July 2010 10:22:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
vanna,

Nil desperandum, you can be sure that whatever academics might claim, there are always others who will challenge them, in time. As well, the wheel turns eventually.

Here is a practical example relevant to men's health,

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/185_08_161006/mac10104_fm.html

Apart from that, have you had a look at http://www.manhood.com.au/ ? Where do men go to chew the philosophical fat re themselves, men, the future and everything?
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 15 July 2010 12:06:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An excellent article. Any article that encourages men to attend to their health needs is a good one.

However, then Vanna blusters in, beating his chest, and ruins the moment by carrying on about it all being the feminist academics fault again.

What on earth has any female university lecturer ever done to you Vanna?
It must have been something really ball-breaking!

I agree with Cornflower when he says we should also concentrate on men's way of life and how they enjoy it. Emotional and psychological health are every bit as important as physical health, for both genders.

I would have thought that many men get their fix of this sort of men-to-men support through sporting clubs etc.

I know my husband spends his golf round every week discussing his problems and good times with all his golf buddies. He comes home each Saturday from golf in a good mood, even if he plays badly!

I realise that not all men play sport, but I believe all men should make time, of some sort, each week to spend with just other men.
It is good for their souls.
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 15 July 2010 1:20:24 AM
Good article. I live in one of those rural areas where men's health stats are significantly poorer than those of women, and where every second bloke I know seems to sport some kind of chronic disease or injury and tends to drink too much and smoke. However, we do tend to talk to each other about it, and in such conversations I'm often struck by the lack of basic health knowledge many of my peers here have.

vanna: << I’ll give a description of what we will need to do in the future, which is, to get off the planet and start and colonise other places. >>

Now that's what I call thinking outside the square in terms of approaches to men's health and well-being. Might I suggest that you lead by example?

Cornflower: << Where do men go to chew the philosophical fat re themselves, men, the future and everything? >>

Where I live, it tends to be at the pub or when we go off on fishing trips together. After a few beers some blokes tend to wax very philosophical.

suzeonline: << I realise that not all men play sport, but I believe all men should make time, of some sort, each week to spend with just other men.
It is good for their souls. >>

Heh. When I first got together with my lovely partner, one of the first things she informed me was that she realises that the pub is "a man's church", where regular attendance is good for our spiritual health. Needless to say, we're still happily together and I'm a devout observer of devotional services ;)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 15 July 2010 6:29:08 AM
>>> vanna: << I’ll give a description of what we will need to do in the future, which is, to get off the planet and start and colonise other places. >>

Now that's what I call thinking outside the square in terms of approaches to men's health and well-being. Might I suggest that you lead by example? <<<

CJ Morgan you rock my world.

Men being free to talk about themselves, without self-consciousness, embarrassment or feeling judged is slowly starting to become accepted. Hence the little anecdote about my butcher.

Given the numbers of men in medicine and allied services, I find it odd that there were so few self-help books targeted specifically at men. We as women, our children are harmed when our partners do not take care of themselves. In the pursuit of the unattainable level of stoicism that men are supposed to achieve, they lose themselves in the process.
Posted by Severin, Thursday, 15 July 2010 10:38:32 AM
C J Morgan, "she realises that the pub is "a man's church", where regular attendance is good for our spiritual health."

Either you are trying to trivialise my comment or you are part of the problem because 'solving' problems with alcohol is a major contributor to the ill-health and suicide of men. It is a wretched example for young men.

It would be different if men were meeting regularly in cafes to share some sun and conversation.

Severin, "I find it odd that there were so few self-help books targeted specifically at men."

Is that some of the blaming that was referred to in the link I gave previously? Have a read.

General comment
The question remains, who do men look to for leadership in Australia. Are there particular writers, philosophers, academics of worth?
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 15 July 2010 4:01:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy