The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A little bit of racial prejudice ... > Comments

A little bit of racial prejudice ... : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 23/6/2010

There is no question that racial prejudice exists in Australia. These feelings are symptoms of a universal human failing.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Racism or Prejudice?
We are continually accused of being a racist society. But is it racism? Or plain old Aussie prejudice! For instance, Chinese restaurants dishing up stray cats as rabbit or chicken! This old tale kept me off Chinese food for years! Aussie ex-P.O.Ws from ww 2 refusing to buy Japanese cars because of their treatment. Is this racism? If so, what is colour prejudice? If you're white you're right, if you're brown hang around, if you're black get back. This is a determining factor in Aboriginal society as well. Is this racism? And if you're Islander (Mud) get back even further! The division between Full-Blood and caste Aboriginal People is legend. An issue not discussed in the public domain. Almost like a taboo subject ! But a fact of life. You won't hear Michael Mansell or Marcia Langton talk about this. A Full-Blood will accept and trust a white person before they would a yella fella or mixed blood Aboriginal they know will exploit them. Is this racism? Torres Strait Islanders are derided by us. Is this racism? This is one reason why they are seeking to annul the marriage "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders". On the grounds of non consummation. It was a marriage in name only. Regarding and involving easier and continued access to funding. A marriage of convenience so to speak. (alb c. 9/07) (again!)Is this statement relevant? for more info on this and other issues, and in operation again, www.whitc.info
Posted by bully, Thursday, 24 June 2010 3:38:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, you triggered a thought that disproves all this racial prejudice rubbish, by the majority of Oz.

For the last 60 years, that I know of, the descendants of most the Pacific islanders, brought in as near slaves, to work in the cane fields, have been comfortably mixing in the mainstream Oz society.

A mate of mine, who's father was full blood melanesian, was a RAAF fighter pilot, who flew in the Korean war. It was education, & ability, not background, that controlled pilot training selection.

Throughout Queensland, & northern NSW you find these people in all walks of life, with no prejudice I have noticed.

This, to my mind, proves it is how you, [& your family perhaps], act that dictates your acceptance by others.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 24 June 2010 4:15:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GINXYYYyyyyyyy.. ur back :) hug hug... a good one liner too....

Followed up few posts later by 'the green yapping puppy'... with all the wisdom of an old boot.

One Nation eh ? :) yeah yeah.

I note that recitation of Al Fatihah.. the Quran doesn't actually have the prejudicial 'like the Jews' or 'like the Christians'.....in that section... but it does have far worse insults and racist bigotry in surah 9:30... but.. you all know that don-cha'

Ginxy..any constructive thoughts about Carbon Trading? (see other thread)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Thursday, 24 June 2010 6:18:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Speaking of racist bigotry from Christian nutters:

<< Burka ban MP accused of chasing bigot vote

Updated Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:36pm AEST

New South Wales MP Reverend Fred Nile has introduced a private members bill to the state's parliament, calling for people to be banned from wearing full face covering in a public place.

The Christian Democrat succeeded in getting his bill debated before parliament last night after having it rejected in May.

The Summary Offences Amendment (Full-face Covering Prohibition) Bill 2010 would make it an offence to wear a face covering while in a public place, punishable by a fine of $550.

The bill says a person's religious or cultural belief would not constitute a reasonable excuse for covering their face, although places of worship would be exempt.

Greens MP John Kaye says the bill is directly targeted at Muslim women wearing burkas.

He says if Reverend Nile was serious about addressing the issue he would be working with the Muslim community not introducing legislation to ban the garment. >>

Full story at http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/23/2934503.htm

Yeah, Islam's a religion rather than a 'race', but such a proposal is certainly a dog-whistle to racists who don't want to share Australia with brown-skinned people who are culturally different to them.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 24 June 2010 7:07:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi AL, Yes know of the 9/11 reference to Viena it's a good one.
On reading back i see what you mean, i have offered and inferred that this is all a white problem. Certainly at this point in history it centres more around white culture but by no means restricted to. It more (for want of a better description) is an issue that lays with the ruling culture of the era in history. We (as in all people and cultures) don't have much trouble with hate and mistrust.
I do though still feel that the indigenous cultures predominately of the southern hemisphere have been dealt a pretty poor deal over the last few hundred years.
The references to Surah 9:29 are ugly, but heavily interpretable as is the Bible. I know this is of a different ilk, but Jesus did say for the rich man to give away his wealth to enter the kingdom of heaven. I haven't noticed too many doing so.
I know i am not very articulate, unlike the PhD's on this form i am a mere tradesman with a piddly Diploma. I just feel we are so overly influenced by societies norm's and are scared into seeing things the way the media and business wants us to with big ad campaigns and editorial decisions based on business interests and political influence that we forget to think for ourselves and consider what it is we are doing and why we do it.
Posted by nairbe, Thursday, 24 June 2010 7:44:17 PM
cj, you see some of the "recent immigrants" don't subscribe to the rascist way aboriginals are separated out of mainstream Australia.

As long as they get "special treatment" for being or claiming to be aboriginal, they are under a racist system.

When they are integrated into mainstream, by just wiping out all the special treatment, then they can hold their heads up and be Australian.

until then, they are an underclass in need of special treatment, and they get told regularly they need it, we get the gratuitous sympathy and grovelling from the likes of yourself and other bleeding hearts.

They need to join the rest of Australia and then in time will work it out - why on earth do you all whine and squeal when ever anyone says they should not be treated as special

Surely if you are separating them, by race, for special treatment because they cannot get the act together, that's racist .. is it not?

I don't share you collective guilt just because I am Australian (recent arrival or not, I am Australian) why should all people coming here have to kowtow to this stupid view you all have that a section of the community needs to be separated by race for a leg up?

Who is the racist here? You who want them separated by race, or me who wants them treated the same as everyone else?

As long as you treat a group differently, they will be different. There's no end to this until this racism stops, there will be pain for those who make money out of it, who have become comfortable in it and the industry around it who use it to berate the rest of the community and when ever anyone questions it - you call them a racist.

Times have changed cj, and you're pov is no longer acceptable, particularly to all the "newer" Australians who feel no reason to join your group guilt trip.
Posted by Amicus, Thursday, 24 June 2010 8:50:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy