The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Men, racism and football > Comments

Men, racism and football : Comments

By Peter West, published 16/6/2010

Most white people don't really understand what it means to be black or what it means to be ridiculed, victimised or humiliated.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
I have to say I was stunned to read the Capt. J. E. Schooley quote "were not race conscious here at all".
A great old mate of mine fought on Kokoda in WW2. After being wounded twice he returned home to a hero's welcome; ushered into the local RSL he had drinks bought for him all night, and had the best time of his life.
The next day, after visiting his family and friends, he thought he'd go back again.
Only this time he didn't wear his uniform. The doorman took one look at him and said “what do you think you're doin' Jackie Jack? You know you can't come in here without a white man to hold your hand.”
He went home, got his medals and threw them in the river. To the day he died, he never had another thing to do with the RSL, or ANZAC day.
As to Cornflower's comments, I worked construction sites for years. I also rode motor bikes and 'hung out with the wrong crowd'. To call a mate a 'C... of a man' is almost a term of endearment. To call someone a 'black C...' is a racial slur, and no one I would call a mate would ever do it.
Posted by Grim, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 7:37:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual
I am not sure what your point is - Johns did not call Tahu a "White C...".

If he did we would still be talking context. Racism is not confined to any one race.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 8:46:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Racism is not confined to any one race.
Pelican,
that's precisely the point ! It's even more pronounced in non-white society.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 10:14:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah well, I just watched the State of Origin game, and the "black c#@%s" certainly showed the folly of Joey's idea of team bonding via assumed shared racism. Served the Cockroaches right, I reckon :P
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 10:32:20 PM
Racism can be found in all races and cultures all over the world.

We all look at people who are different and are either curious about them or threatened by them, depending on our upbringing and our life experiences.

I was brought up to take each person as they come- regardless of their country of origin or the colour of their skin.

What I don't like is when I dislike someone of a different race than me, for example because they are violent towards another person, and that person then says I don't like them because I am racist!

As to the offending comment 'black c...', I was working in an Aboriginal community and heard the manager call one of my patients a black c...,
When I expressed disgust at this swearing I was told it is fine for one Aboriginal to call another Aboriginal this endearment, but definitely not from a person from any other race!
Go figure!
Posted by suzeonline, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 10:40:31 PM
Geez some of these big tough football lads need a spoonful of cement and advice to harden the 'bleep' up!
Frankly I don't care if they call each other vile names with or without racial overtones. I'm over it.

Far as I'm concerned any decent Australian takes umbrage at foul language and fouler name calling even among the generally sub-normal humanoids passed off as elite sportsmen. Overpaid, over-rated and definately not heros or role models!

As for Tilly J - what a crock! My business has customers from all walks of life. Come into my premises clean, groomed, walking & talking straight, NOT reeking of alcohol, paint, petrol whatever and I will view you as a potential valuable customer worthy of my respect and efforts to fulfil your needs should you choose to purchase from me or not. I don't care about your colour, race, religion, sexuality, marital status, the brand of your toilet tissue etc, ect. One exception - no customers with concealed faces.

However - come into my premises dirty, dishevelled, stinking, substance affected and regardless of your colour, race, religion, sexuality and whether or not you use toilet tissue I am going to 1) Regard you with instant suspicion, distaste and concern 2) Ask you to leave and have you removed if you refuse.

As for asking people their 'nationality' - it's a common question since products and services I sell often involve overseas travel or international usage. More often than not the customer is white with an accent. Sometimes though, when encountering someone with an unusual name or whose name and appearance seem at odds, I ask about ethnic origin simply out of curiousity or as a conversation starter. Not surprisingly everyone I've ever asked has been quite happy to tell their story. People like talking about themselves and it aids understanding.

Tilly - I suggest if you present well - in a manner that reflects pride in self and respect for others that is how you will be regarded. Check your mirror on the way out for starters.
Posted by divine_msn, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 11:22:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All