The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Hardline policy on asylum seekers won't work > Comments

Hardline policy on asylum seekers won't work : Comments

By Abdul Hekmat, published 16/6/2010

There must be another way to deal with the surge of asylum seekers without punishing them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Why make it easier for the boat people to break our law? If any other prospective citizen breaks our law, they are generally deported as a consequence, these people get preferential treatment as a result of doing so?

For every "Boat Person" who has the money and the wherewithal to make it to Indonesia, there is a person in dire need missing out simply because these criminals jumped the queue with their own dubious stories...

Does anyone ever feel sorry for the unfortunates that are left behind to suffer the consequences of these people's actions? No.

Instead we are continually being told that we, as a nation, are under some positive obligation, to assist these people to better evade/escape the application of both domestic and international law.

I am sorry, I refuse to countenance that. If someone complies with the procedure, then obviously they haven't done so for fun, but because there is a genuine need. THEY DESERVE THE PLACES, not those with the money to get to Indonesia and jam their way into the queue (so their less than convincing claims can be subject to the appellate process all the way to the High Court).

Imagine, there is a long queue, you and your family are in it... At the end of the queue is a safe place, behind you are your tormentors, waiting for an opportunity to commit unspeakable depredations upon you and yours...

You finally get to the end of the queue, to be told that there are only 10 spaces left (but there are only 4 people in front of you and 6 in your family). Then some arrogant, rich criminal, with no "real" reason to seek asylum simply pushes you out of the way in order to take those spaces up for themselves...

How exactly would you feel? I suspect you'd feel pretty hard done by, having gone through the entire process, having waited endlessly, having jumped through all the hoops, to be pushed aside by some arrogant, uncaring criminal, simply because they have the money to do as they please? Now, THAT is UnAustralian
Posted by Custard, Monday, 21 June 2010 1:08:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a CONSTITUTIONALIST my prime concern is that matters (refugees or otherwise) are dealt with within the context of the constitution. My blog http://www.scribd.com/doc/29656433/100409-Kevin-Rudd-PM-Constitutional-Valid-Refugee-Solution I have set out how to appropriately deal with the influx of refugees, and overstayers and unless and until this is put in place both Australians and those coming to Australia seeking a better place to live may be at war and so unduly. Politicians are not there, at least for their own interest, to resolve matters because politics is all about blaming once opponent pretending to be better even if you are worse. We cannot have that people of other countries swamp Australia to their liking and dictate their doctrines, values, customs, traditions, etc, upon Australians as if they were so good they could have stayed where they came from. It is one thing to seek refuge it is another thing to make out Australians may not be sensitive to the plight of others. Every country has its right to protects its borders and any person who seeks refuge must then accept the processes in place while on the other hand Australians must ensure that whom ever is in government operates within the confines of the law. Regretfully politicians are easy to use political slogans to distort the real issues and this must be stopped. As my blog article sets out there is a humane manner to deal with it all and if all Australians including politicians were to adapt this kind of system we will all be better of for it.
Posted by Mr Gerrit H Schorel-Hlavka, Tuesday, 22 June 2010 4:54:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy