The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Migration, population policy and colonial exploitation > Comments

Migration, population policy and colonial exploitation : Comments

By John Töns, published 11/6/2010

Before we head for a Big Australia we need to determine how we can satisfy the needs of our existing population.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
SEV...I write with a particular style.. for clarity.

I lost interest when I see a tight 'paragraph' Life is too short.. I need 'headline' then explaination.. thats why I use 'HEADLINE' and then..sentence etc.

I am not 'shouting'..I am trying.. to make a piece well spaced and enable the reader to see quickly what I'm on about.

Thanx for the criticism...though you don't quite understand my method.
Hopefully now you will.

Newspapers are constructed along the same lines as I write.

HEADLINE...then story.

They do it for a reason. Can you imagine a front page of 'tight paragraphs' :)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:32:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course another vector of analysis is that most of the anti-people lobby seem to come from the green verdant hills of Adelaide - and oddly, many are former failed Democrats. Coulter and Kanck. You have got to be kidding me!

If you went to a pet shop to buy a dog and the shop owner said, I'm sorry, we're all sold out of normal dogs can I interest you in a box of droolers? And you went over and peeked inside, you'd have Kanck and Coulter slobbering up at you - going cheap too.

Why Adelaide? Well you've got a barking mad protestant free settler ethos which deludes them in to thinking their ideas are enlightened and reasonable. I could blame the Murdoch one paper monopoly but it's not that.

It's simply that their thinking is the product of a box of droolers.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 14 June 2010 12:43:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What all the anti-immigration brigade seem to forget is that Australia does not live alone in the world.
We do not have the resources needed to supply ourselves with everything we need- in isolation.

So imagine if we now said to all the other countries in the world
"Ok guys, we are now closing our doors to all newcomers from all other countries."

The first thing that will happen will be an uprising of current citizens wanting their relatives to join them here in Australia.
Then, other countries will be harassed by their citizens wanting to come to Australia.

These countries will then say "if you don't want our people, then we won't send you our goods and services, and we won't buy anything from you either."

Imports and exports as we know it will be in disarray, and businesses will go broke and we will have shortages of cheaper goods we have been used to having- eg cars, whitegoods, clothing, tinned foods and OIL.

Think about it carefully before you suggest no more immigration.
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 14 June 2010 10:07:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Exactly, Suzie.

Look at Japan. Despicable mono-cultural and almost mono-racial country. Wont have any immigrants, so all the other countries wont trade with them. Japan is an international pariah, worse even than North Korea and Iran, an other countries are always saying things to the Japanese like, "Well, our people aren't good enough for you, so you can stick your goods and services." And look at the total economic basket case Japan has become as a result. Yes, a total mess, and I think the they are facing an imminent invasion because of their despicable selfishness. Totally serves them right.

Yes, every time I see a Japanese person I see past that phony veil of politeness, intelligence, diligence and decency, and see them for the racist anti-immigration rednecks that they are. But the best part is that the rotten racist Japanese would be enjoying vastly higher living standards if only they had realised the huge benefits of immigration.

Japans loss, Australia's gain.
Posted by Fester, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:12:00 PM
suzonline, that's got to be the most absurd and hysterical response to the "immigration debate" I have seen anywhere.

So you're saying if a country refuses immigration, no one will deal with them?

Like they don't deal with Japan and South Korea and others who take to migrants at all?

Of course we can end immigration if we desire, the reason we don't is the fear of a declining population and tax base, that's what drives government and the politics.

It has nothing to do with threats such as you outline.

"first thing that will happen will be an uprising of current citizens", what utter fallacious rubbish, when have Australians "risen up", and why would they care ?

Dear me some people live in a fantasy world, and seem to think they can throw around idiotic threats of revolution if we dare change our ways. This is bizarre.

The world has changed, and continues to - what was acceptable 10 or 20 years ago may not be today, and we reserve the right to open or close our borders, regardless of the fears of little people. That's what makes us a free country.

Why do we sign up to the lunacy of the UN anyway, methinks we should be reassessing our role in signing up to all their conventions and review all the ones we have signed up to.

Then put it to the people, whether we want our locally elected leaders to have open slather on deciding what they commit Australia to internationally .. because it is not with my permission or assent!

Perhaps in election campaigns we could cover what our politicians intend to do on the world stage when they achieve government, that might make a difference to getting votes .. god knows what the Greens would respond with, that would be amusing if nothing else.
Posted by Amicus, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:17:45 PM
Amicus, you don't think there would be some very upset Australians if we stopped our immigration intake now? You are very naive then.

Ok Amicus, let's put aside my 'absurd' suggestions for the moment and talk about the ones you yourself bought up:
<" Of course we can end immigration if we desire, the reason we don't is the fear of a declining population and tax base, that's what drives government and the politics."

Can Australia financially deal with a declining population and tax base? Why did we abandon the 'white Australia' policy and open the doors for other immigrants? Because we weren't increasing our population fast enough to provide enough tax dollars for our economy.

We are one country that didn't come out too badly during the past world financial crisis did we? Do we want to put ourselves in a vulnerable situation for the next crisis?

No, we don't.
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 1:55:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy