The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Breast intentions > Comments

Breast intentions : Comments

By Elizabeth Willmott Harrop, published 31/5/2010

Breaking the silence of mothers' grief in the breast versus bottle debate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
This topic is the perfect example of why we need to get academics out of our lives.

Some damn fool in his/her ivory tower, pontificating on every simple facet of our lives, is bad for the health.

My wife breast fed 3 kids. The experience was totally different with each one. If she were silly enough to pay more than a passing interest in the advice from the experts, she would have worried her self sick.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 9:16:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Get over yourself, hmmm ... well isn't this what the breastfeeding debate is really about?

It's your fault if you get woken up all night because you choose to breastfeed. It's your fault if you choose to bottle feed because you can't breastfeed. It's the fault of a patriarchal society when women who want to breastfeed feel the pressure to wean to bottle feeding.

I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones as I was able to choose what I wanted to do for my baby and was able to do it. Despite being told that it was my fault that my baby had colic, was wakeful at night, had too much wind, that I was feeding my baby from the wrong position, that I was overfeeding my baby, that I was eating the wrong diet, that I should not have my baby in the bed with me because I may roll over on her and kill her in my sleep - so I was fortunate in being able to defy the pressure and stick to what I believed was right for me and my baby. I breast-fed my first child for 3 years and my second child for nearly 4 years much to the dismay of most people I knew - but this was none of their business anyway.

For me, weaning my children before they were ready was like cutting off the love supply. But this is just my opinion about how I feel and therefore really not open for debate.

If I had not been fortunate enough to be able to breastfeed my children I would have just as lovingly bottlefed as a necessary and equally caring alternative. Whatever the choice, I think it's a fair assumption that most mothers choose with the best intentions for their babies.
Posted by dotto, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 10:19:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
dotto, "Despite being told that it was my fault that my baby had colic, was wakeful at night, had too much wind, that I was feeding my baby from the wrong position, that I was overfeeding my baby, that I was eating the wrong diet, that I should not have my baby in the bed with me because I may roll over on her and kill her in my sleep."

That sort of criticism comes from other women and first-time mothers are particularly susceptible to it. Turn off the women's daytime TV, refuse to read women's magazines and spend more time in mixed groups and especially in the company of men. Men are so much more forgiving and practical and feel no need to compete in the motherhood stakes.

It is possible to enjoy mixed gatherings that are not solely made up of the same demographic (mums and kids) and have interests other than sitting around moaning about children. Move to the 'male' end at the bbq, they are there avoiding all of the gossip, needless comparisons and bitching too. Get into crafts, there is relaxation and time to think just doing the mundane. Above all, give the toxic communicators a swerve.

Mothers used to get a lot of support from the extended family, but for some that is not possible. Then there were the local shops, easily reached with a pram. There are many simple, practical steps that government could take like town design and a transport system that cater for the whole community. That shouldn't be difficult but despite the demand for it local and state governments are deaf, apparently.

What would be very helpful would be extension support from a child and maternal welfare agency. Also, it would often be more advantageous to see experienced nurses at clinics rather than doctors. Doctors are there to prescribe but what is more commonly needed is support and advice from a professional with the time to give it.
Posted by Cornflower, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 12:51:04 PM
The breast is best campaign began in the 3rd world where many infants were suffering when mothers were spending scarce resources buying formula and preparing it in unhygienic conditions, often incorrectly, with the inevitable results.

While there are definitely benefits from breast feeding, these are generally overstated in first world countries. The added immunity is small and largely unnecessary in the hygienic homes most of us live in. For many, the major advantage is the bonding with the child.

Unfortunately, there are many women who for various reasons are not as good providers of milk as others, and fixation on breast feeding is harmful for both mother and child.

For these unfortunate few the vociferous breast Nazis who wander around tagging them as "bad mothers" are mindless unfeeling idiots.

The advantages of bottle feeding are that the father and grand parents can get involved, and the mother gets the occasional night off. (in the first 3 months a godsend.)

I am not against breast feeding, but it is not the only right way.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 2:13:28 PM
Socioeconomic status and rates of breastfeeding in Australia: evidence from three recent national health surveys
Lisa H Amir and Susan M Donath

"NHSs over a 10-year period indicate that, although overall rates of breastfeeding have remained unchanged between 1995 and 2004–05, the broad figures mask an increasing divide between the highest and lowest socioeconomic groups. Infants in higher socioeconomic groups are more likely to be breastfed than in previous years, but little change has occurred in lower socioeconomic groups.

In general, people with higher incomes are more likely to adopt healthy behaviour such as exercising, eating a healthy diet and quitting smoking. Lower-income families have less capacity to make such changes. Women from lower-income families are less likely to breastfeed for a number of reasons, including less family support for breastfeeding, less ability to seek help with breastfeeding problems, less flexibility with working arrangements, and concerns about breastfeeding in public. Moreover, women in lower SEIFA quintiles are more likely to interact socially with women who are less inclined to breastfeed, such as those who are younger, less educated, overweight/obese or smokers. As formula-fed infants are more likely to become ill and be admitted to hospital, these findings indicate increasing health inequalities in Australian children.

Policymakers need to act on increasing health inequalities.14 Breastfeeding support and promotion in Australia need to focus on groups with low rates of breastfeeding. Peer support programs have been effective in other countries and should be trialled in Australia. Peer support involves women who are similar to the women they are supporting — for example, teenage women supporting teenage women. The Australian Breastfeeding Association provides mother-to-mother support, but as the counsellors tend to be middle-class and are trained to provide breastfeeding advice, they are not peer supporters as generally defined."

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/189_05_010908/ami11480_fm.html
Posted by Cornflower, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 4:32:44 PM
I was a midwife before I had my own child. I used to get angry when the Nursing Mothers Association staff used to come onto the postnatal wards and harass the new mothers to carry on with breastfeeding when some of them clearly weren't comfortable doing so.

Apart from the problems of terrible cracked and bleeding nipples, and very unsettled babies, some women reported that breastfeeding their babies 'was disgusting'.

There is no point demanding that these women continue breastfeeding, leaving both mother and baby unhappy.

It is far better that these mums should be taught the correct way to bottle feed and how to sterilise their equipment before they go home.

When I became pregnant, I was surprised at the number of women (and some men) who felt the need to tell me I must breastfeed my baby.

When the time came to try to breastfeed my baby, I told all the ward staff to leave me alone unless I asked for help, and that under no circumstances were they to let any of the people from the Nursing Mothers Association in to see me!

I was lucky enough to be able to feed my breast feed my baby for 14 months, but I would never suggest to any other mother that they should not bottle feed a baby if that was what they wanted to do.
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 1 June 2010 9:57:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy