The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can Muslim women be hot? > Comments

Can Muslim women be hot? : Comments

By Alice Aslan, published 27/5/2010

Rima Fakih, the latest Miss USA, has challenged popular negative stereotypes against Arab-Muslims.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Severin,
<<Can Muslim men be hot?
Can Aussie men be hot?
Can Jewish men be hot?
Can Hindu men be hot?
Can atheist men be hot?
Can MEN be hot?>>
Who cares? Well maybe Woulfe et al.
Start up your own thread.
Posted by Proxy, Friday, 28 May 2010 6:55:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boazy, I'm quite serious.

I think that the great majority of Muslims who live in Western societies will become rapidly secularised within a generation or two. Rima Fakih is a brilliant symbol of that process.

Secular followers of any religion are no problem to the societies of which they are part. It's only the fundamentalist nutters from all religions that constitute threats to the rest of us.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 28 May 2010 10:33:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Trouble is the extremists regardless of religious orientation usually have a vested interest in the non-secular. I wonder if it might have anything to do with the risk of secular societies being the pathway toward a greater peace and acceptance and the loss of defence contracts.

Heavens, am I becoming a conspiracy theorist?!
Posted by pelican, Friday, 28 May 2010 11:33:36 PM
Pelican

You point would be humourous if it didn't have some merit.

I don't think it is a conscious conspiracy. However, religions need to retain power over its believers, keeping people divided has been the Modus Operandi across the ages. For example, the Christians can't be right if the Jewish religion is the one single truth and so on. A concerted deliberate conspiracy is not even required for the effects of one to occur.

Just the asking of such a stupid question as "Can Muslim women be hot?" plays into division and the view of Muslim women as repressed. How can women who are subjugated remain sexual beings? Well, we are, in spite of being classed as second class citizens through out recorded history, we are still very human and have desires just as men do.

Hence my derisory point that no-one asks if men of particular religions are "hot". A point which has gone over the head of Proxy, which is to be expected given Proxy's belief systems.
Posted by Severin, Saturday, 29 May 2010 10:15:03 AM
Severina,
<<A point which has gone over the head of Proxy, which is to be expected given Proxy's belief systems.>>
It didn't go over my head, I just gave it its due.

CJ Morgan,
<<I think that the great majority of Muslims who live in Western societies will become rapidly secularised within a generation or two. Rima Fakih is a brilliant symbol of that process.>>
This assumes Islamic integration into its host culture.
This ignores 1400 years of the opposite trend.
On what basis do you imagine a fourteen hundred year old trend reversing itself somehow?
Isn't the opposite happening?
Aren't our universities installing Islamic prayer rooms?
Is this part of the secularisation process, or its opposite?
Isn't the Australian government seeking to ensure taxation law is sharia compliant?
Aren't Australian foods becoming increasingly halal approved?
Many of the convicted jihadists and would-be's arrested and imprisoned in Western countries were born in the West but reverted to fundamental Islam, often to the incomprehension of their immigrant parents.
You're not thinking,
you're wishing and hoping.
Posted by Proxy, Saturday, 29 May 2010 3:16:53 PM
Either way, Proxy is a narrow-minded bigot who represents the worst face of Australia. Its such a shame that our wonderful country is blighted by ingrates like Proxy who have so little generosity towards their fellow human beings. Proxy has so little confidence in her own cultural identity that the emergence of even small aspects of Muslim culture leaves her feeling fearful and hostile. Its sad ... really.
Posted by jjplug, Sunday, 30 May 2010 2:17:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy