The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Little love for Abbott, but voters have stopped listening to Rudd > Comments

Little love for Abbott, but voters have stopped listening to Rudd : Comments

By Graham Young, published 17/5/2010

It’s a good thing for Labor that elections are rarely fought on budgets: our online polling says key voters have switched off Labor.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I am starting to develop a liking for Abbott.

It is all the things he is being attacked for that is making him more attractive.

His lack of polish, & the fact that he is less articulate is very much a part of it. I get the impression he is think about what he is going to say. How quaint some might say, but after listening to Rudd squirting out carefully written, & obviously rehearsed answers to everything, even if not relevant to the subject, it is a most welcome change.

It will be an interesting time.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 1:23:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A politician admitting he sometimes tells porkies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/18/2902394.htm

That rather endears Abbott to me.

Wayne Swann is quoted as saying:

"I ... certainly I don't think anyone in public life intentionally tells the untruth."

Need I spell out the irony of that statement? Especially coming from a minister in the KRuddster's administration.

I'd like fellow cyclist Abbott to win but my guess is the KRuddster will still be PM after the election.

Graham, I fear you are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 1:39:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ladies & Gentlemen, get out in the street and talk to real people, as i do. Forget about polls, focus groups & the halls of academia.

A great article Graham & your later comment as well.

I blog on OLO because it is one of the 2 most influential forums in the Australian Market. The other one is "The Punch". Run by News ltd & is advertised in their newspapers daily. In fact i first discovered OLO because "The Punch" has a list of related "sites they like" including OLO & i tried them all.

Try "The Punch" as well as continuing on OLO & you will see more "ordinary" Aussies on their site blogging. Obviously there are plenty of left, right, out stooges on both sides of the debate, on both sites, blindly barracking for their team.

But i am seeing more middle of the road, swinging voters every day expressing disgust for both of the Major Mistakes. You should start to see some of them arriving here as i also promote OLO on "The Punch".

The Liberal/National coalition will IMHO win this upcoming election by a landslide, but based on the people i meet & blog with daily, it will be off the back of preferences from real minor parties & independents.

http://www.democrats.org.au/

http://ausfirst.alphalink.com.au/

http://www.ldp.org.au/

http://australianpolitics.com/parties/list.shtml

The word is out about the red/greens being communists, they are just as dead in the water as the getup/labour coalition.
Posted by Formersnag, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 3:42:48 PM
I don't often agree with spindoc, but think that he is spot on here. There is anger at the Rudd government among many of us, not only for breaking election promises, but also for introducing major policy changes, while concealing their intent to do so until after the election. Examples include allowing non-resident foreigners to buy existing houses, greatly increased immigration, and compulsory internet filtering (i.e. censorship), with lists of banned sites to be kept secret and no real restrictions on what can be banned. John Howard rightly attracted anger and ridicule for his "non-core" promises, but at least he had the courage to take the GST to an election.
Posted by Divergence, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 4:10:02 PM
I think Rudd's biggest failing is his lack of self-promotional skills.

It's what helped the Labor Party stay in Opposition so long.

He should have been plundering the public purse to send out vast amounts of media propaganda to advertise his governments achievements - not to mention a fridge magnet or two - plus some better photo opportunities.

Arguing against one party doesn't automatically give credit to another party.
Look at the NSW State government. Plenty of reasons not to vote for them but no reason at all to vote for the Liberals.

That's why Abbott isn't picking up all the anti-Rudd swing.

Why do you think Turnbull cancelled his resignation?. He wants Abbotts job back when Abbott fails at the next election and he only needs to get 2 votes to reverse the last spill.Turnbull isn't hanging around for some lousy job on the back bench.

I think some of these posters should take a cold shower and settle down a bit. Early days yet.

The cult of personality may not last until election day.
Posted by rache, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 4:23:27 PM
Just a quick question, does anyone actually care which of the two candidates get in?
And if so, why?

I mean really, there's so little difference between them there is only one thing that comes to mind;
Labor- spend money on trivial and cosmetic programs to pretend they're "doing something"
Liberal- sit on the money and do nothing to pretend they're "being responsible".

It's sad- this is probably the year in which the two-party-preferred stakes couldn't possibly get ANY lower, and so many are still stumbling over themselves to weigh them both up!

It shows we have a LONG way to go before we evolve as a nation.
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 18 May 2010 6:21:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy