The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Battle of the billboards > Comments

Battle of the billboards : Comments

By Wendy Francis, published 10/5/2010

Should outdoor advertising be G-rated?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
While I agree that the 'Two Naughty Bars' billboard seems inappropriate for a school, surely it's within the power of the school to have it removed from their fence?

I'm wondering if Wendy Francis approved of the censoring of the Atheist Foundation's recent attempts to display some quite innocuous messages on buses.

Also, I can't help but notice the rash of first-time posters responding to this article. I smell another godbotherer-orchestrated spam campaign...
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 10 May 2010 11:16:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I must admit, I am surprised by the outrage expressed in this thread on the scanty information provided. What is a "naughty bar" and Wendy Francis's version of highly sexualized imagery (given her background) could be as innocuous as Cosmo. Also high school boys of 12-18 are unlikely to be the wide eyed innocents that will be scarred by the image of a "sexy woman".

As there are already strict guidelines for advertising this sounds like a fabricated storm in a D cup.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 10 May 2010 11:21:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
totaly agree with this article if i could tell you how many young apprentices i have had contact with from cooking... many of them have found themselves debating what is morally right/wrong to do in a particular situation, or in general what does society deam as apropriate behaviour with the influences around them from a very young age they often end up with the problems outlines here in this article, such as im not skinny enough, i dont have longer lasting sex is there something wrong with me? i need to look like him/her etc. etc. upon asking them why they feel this way often alot of them will say well thats is what is always around them... you cannot walk down a street without something shouting at you.... those shouts are well and truely the advertising material on billboards, magasines etc... the only thing is it is the persons choice wether to purchase a magasine it is not a choice to see a billboard, hence why they are called billboards... the stare you right in the face. i agree they should be "g" rated
Posted by chef mjp, Monday, 10 May 2010 12:10:54 PM
Wow - Wendy - that's some juicy revelation, remember, you heard it here first guys.
Troy Buswell was having an affair with a Greens Senator - presumably at the same time as his affair with Adele Carles, MLA (Fremantle), a Greens member of the lower house of the Western Australian state parliament.
Ooh, let's speculate on who it could be. Surely it would have to be a senator from WA.
So, it has to be either Rachel Siewert or Scott Ludlum...? hum...
Poor basic fact checking!
Ok, I guess I've had enough fun with that one, but I don't really think it was the affair that 'done him in'. I think it was more a combination of the fact that it was a parliamentary member of another party and his previous behaviour.
Are you suggesting that because there are suggestive billboards (and Troy Buswells) around means that fathers working late can not be trusted?
I do, however, agree that outdoor advertising ought be G-rated. Just as I think that magazine displays in shops ought be g-rated and r-rated video covers in video stores ought be in an area not readily visible by minors. I'm not saying the material shouldn't be available, just that it shouldn't be on display to juveniles.
Posted by J S Mill, Monday, 10 May 2010 1:53:45 PM
Go Wendy - I love your style and I am 100% behind you. We nee to make a stand and not back down. Parents are sik and tired of the sexulisation of children. It seems they are not given the space to be children without the bombardment of other people's ideas. We have a right to protect our children from greedy predators. Thanks for your efforts. They will not go unrewarded.
Posted by Dizee, Monday, 10 May 2010 2:26:17 PM
Dizee, chef mjp,

There is a thread on "is spelling still important" you might find relevant.

DebM I am interested in how you can be shocked but not surprised. (unless you are in a permanent state of amazement)

bast "their impact on all people that see they advertising" que?

Toots Logan: "May I just say that you don't have to be a wowser or a prude to have decent morals" - but it helps to broadcast.

Now I can see where Wendy gets her support.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 10 May 2010 3:19:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy