The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The masculinity conspiracy > Comments

The masculinity conspiracy : Comments

By Joseph Gelfer, published 7/5/2010

Every person on the planet is affected by masculinity in some shape or form.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Yea I agree with what you say about the division of labor vanna. Division of labor is even present in the human brain, with the left brain taking charge of different tasks than the right. It would be ridiculous to say one is superior because the simple fact is you need both sides to function. It's the same with men and women.

That's not to say everything feminism has observed is false. Feminism has identified shortcomings in the thinking of the day, and brought to the attention of academics that women are a force in society as well. Fair's fair, if the purpose is understanding, then these observations are useful.

It's got a bit out of hand though, in my opinion. Feminists don't even seem to represent the majority of women, just a really angry minority.

But all this about masculinity to me seems over the top. It's one thing to theorize, it's another to make value judgments about men as a group. That's 3 billion people. Any term that generalizes such diversity is meaningless. Saying "men" are dominant, aggressive and powerful is as meaningless as saying women are manipulative, money hungry bimbo's.
Posted by Fragmachine, Monday, 10 May 2010 8:24:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fragmachine
I haven’t said females are inferior. They are the other half. But nearly everything that has been invented, discovered or built in this world has been invented, discovered or built by a male.

It is now reached the situation where nearly every textbook has been written by a male, and nearly every university has been built by a male, but not one feminist or academic in a university can think of one good word to say about the male gender.

I think its time to start and sake them, and put the money going to universities elsewhere.

There are plenty of other research institutions other than universities.
Posted by vanna, Monday, 10 May 2010 8:48:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey vanna, try not to contradict yourself :)

"I haven’t said females are inferior. They are the other half. But nearly everything that has been invented, discovered or built in this world has been invented, discovered or built by a male."

What does this paragraph say? Women are not inferior, they're just useless? Lol. Joking... I understand (i think) what your trying to say, division of labour etc etc.

As for sacking academics and shutting down universities, that may be going just a tad far. Universities don't just do research, they teach skills, and contrary to what you may think, they're not a hotbed of extremist feminism. I should know, I'm going to one.

I think some academics are definitely out of touch with reality, but not all. It's not a matter of shutting down all universities just because you disagree with some ideas that come out of them. That's just ridiculous.
Posted by Fragmachine, Monday, 10 May 2010 9:34:37 PM
Fragmachine
2 out of 5 female university graduates (almost 50% of total university graduates) don’t even earn enough money to repay their HECS fees. So many go into universities to do social science courses and arts courses that teach the concept of “male power and control”, but eventually males have to pay their way.

Only about 10% of world wide research now occurs in universities, and universities are increasingly becoming a waste of space and taxpayer's money.

There are also plenty of places that teach skills other than universities.
Posted by vanna, Monday, 10 May 2010 9:47:29 PM
vanna, 90% of statistics randomly quoted without a source are worthless.
Posted by Fragmachine, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 9:39:46 AM
LOL Fragmachine. In a similar vein, 99% of the comments that vanna posts are worthless, as were those under his previous user names "HRS", "Timkins" et al.

Stick with the sociology, at least you show the capacity for learning.

Squeers - LOL @ you too. Thanks for the compliment, but I also generally find your comments eminently well-informed sensible.

Your tenner? I'd rather shout you a beer if we ever get the chance :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 10:02:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All