The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The fat lady is warming up her vocal chords > Comments

The fat lady is warming up her vocal chords : Comments

By Helen Dale, published 4/5/2010

“Bigotgate” was interesting for what it revealed about British attitudes, not only to immigrants but to people in positions of power.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I think that, purely because of media hype, much too much has been made of Brown's 'unintended for public consumption' observation.

One swallow does not make Spring and the observations of one woman and one politician cannot provide the basis of a general thesis about life and politics in Britain.

To attempt to do so borders on silliness!
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 4 May 2010 11:55:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G

Nevertheless immigration is shaping up to be an issue in the UK.

From the Telegraph:

Quote:

"A YouGov poll yesterday showed that Mr Clegg remains personally extremely popular,

[…]

But the same poll showed that 60 per cent of voters oppose his policy of “earned citizenship.” [for illegal immigrants]

[…]

Another poll, commissioned by the MigrationwatchUK pressure group, suggested that 57 per cent of Lib Dem supporters are opposed to the amnesty plan.

End quotes

See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7669296/General-Election-2010-Liberal-Democrats-immigration-policy-deters-voters-polls-show.html

And from The Atlantic:

"A recent poll showed 77 percent of Britons want immigration cut and more than half want it reduced by "a lot."

See:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2010/05/in-uk-an-all-too-familiar-immigration-debate/56100/

Not everybody who is uneasy about immigration levels is a bigot. Brown's categorising Ms Duffy as a "bigot" is typical of an elite out of touch with the voters.

The fat lady is indeed beginning to sing.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am an immigrant to Australia. Were I in charge of Australian immigration policy I would not have accepted me.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 4 May 2010 1:59:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"In the interests of full disclosure, I am an immigrant to Australia. Were I in charge of Australian immigration policy I would not have accepted me."

Thats just sad.
Posted by David Jennings, Tuesday, 4 May 2010 2:35:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
StevenLmeyer, if your information comes from the UK Tory rag, who are we to comment.
Posted by Kipp, Tuesday, 4 May 2010 6:21:03 PM
Hi all, thanks for your comments - I'm the article author, and from what I can see, authors don't usually turn up in the forums.

A couple of things:

1. The Telegraph is indeed Tory, but it is also a good newspaper once you account for the bias, just as the Guardian is a good newspaper once you account for its bias in the opposite direction. The right-wing paper to avoid is the Daily Mail, which is a dab hand in confected outrage and - I suspect - only worried about cancer and property prices.

2. I've done quite a bit of election coverage (including this piece) at my blog, which you're welcome to visit:

http://skepticlawyer.com.au/
Posted by skepticlawyer, Tuesday, 4 May 2010 6:43:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kipp

The Atlantic is neither UK nor Tory nor a "rag". It is generally considered to be on the Left of politics.

The Telegraph was simply quoting a poll. Do you have any reason to suppose they were misquoting it? Other media quoted the same poll.

David Jennings

I was two weeks short of 51 when I arrived in 1996. If I were in charge of immigration I would not accept anyone over 40. Under the current system I probably would not have had enough points to qualify for immigration status.

Immigration is also becoming an issue in Australia. Do you want to see 36 million people living here by 2050? It seems that many Australians would prefer a lower rate of population growth.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 5 May 2010 7:37:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy