The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Meaning of ANZAC Day > Comments

The Meaning of ANZAC Day : Comments

By Tristan Ewins, published 29/4/2010

ANZAC Day should be a day of remembrance for Australia and New Zealand: a time of reflection upon the involvement of those countries in terrible wars.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Try Foucault's 'Society Must Be Defended' to see the role of war in our global community.... it's just another hegemonic tool in the toolbox of power.

And the goons that glory in displays of war, pretending they are simply 'honouring the fallen' are poor deluded fools who willingly, and gleefully, help to perpetuate the grip around their own necks, while tugging furiously at their forelocks, and thanking Dinsdale for being so generous in nailing their head to the floorboards.

The rush to Turkey to be 'on the beach' makes me wonder if these people have ever heard of that film, and its very gloomy message...about the war that is yet to be fought out, the one so many remain eager to undertake.

Like so with the need to experience the Kokoda Track to better 'know' what 'the lads' went through... why not just join-up and get a taste of the real experience, I wonder?

Ah no, living vicariously is all that is really wanted by these people.

I have not read the book, but I did listen to Reynolds interviewed on, I think, Fran Kelly, while she got hot under the collar and practically called Reynolds a Fifth Columnist, so clearly outraged was she that 'the lads' had been diminished by this long overdue book.

Any sense of perspective has been absent in the ANZAC legend making industry, like, there were far more people than just Australians (and Turks) involved, that this is not regarded as anything but an abysmal failure on Churchill's part in the UK, and the Dardanelles Campaign, as it is called there, barely rates a mention beyond being a failed effort.

It was never 'the making of a nation', but it did make Bean, and it did get more men to sign up afterwards to go to their deaths in Europe, and since of course.

It also helps to make politicians, and provides a place for 'religion' to slip into again today, when there should be no room for that war-mongering activity to be associated with it at all....except to be cursed with war.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 4 May 2010 12:09:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy