The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Involvement key to supporting Indigenous communities > Comments

Involvement key to supporting Indigenous communities : Comments

By Natalie Hunter, published 28/4/2010

Involving the Indigenous community is vital to ensure Aboriginal children can remain in their homes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
This racist nonsense will not abate as long as we don't have equal responsibility which opens the door to equal rights, starting with the Public Service & other public funded organisations. It is not possible to achieve equilibrium when the scale is lopsided.
I'd like to hear some indigenous australian views on responsibility vs rights & some proposals for involvement in the development of communities.
Would it be preferable if non-indigenous had no involvement ? What are the involvement keys to supporting communities from an indigenous perspective ?
There must be a model out there by now somewhere. Let's have it out in the open for all to see ! Nobody can do something right without enlightenment of what's expected.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 10:14:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fiona Stanley wrote and speaks about some very good ideas on responsibilities and ways for working positively. I think you should be able to google her easy enough.

Fiona calls for the people who are supposed to be delivering services, doing the jobs, etc to be held accountable for their success or failures. These people include public servants, tradespeople, non-indigenous and Indigenous.

I do commend Natalie, for having the bravery to submit herself and her article to standard sniping by the likes of the current posters
Posted by Aka, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 11:59:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Natalie, at least you are trying to do something for your people, and I commend you for that.
Whatever has been, or is currently, happening for Aboriginals in this country has not worked, and so something else must be tried.

I don't agree that we should compensate all people affected by the so called 'Stolen Generation'. Where would all this compensation stop?
Do we continue compensating all descendants of this Stolen Generation for 10 years, 20 years, 50 years?

From the years I have worked with indigenous Australians in the health field, the people who have stood up for their communities, gone ahead and had more education, and more likely to have jobs etc, were those who were actual members of the Stolen Generation, or their children/ grandchildren.

Why was this? Because many Indigenous Australians who were sadly removed from their Parents were actually given a reasonable, modern education. Yes, they suffered from not having their parents, but I wonder what some of their fates would have been had they not been removed?

Aboriginal Children who are being physically, emotionally and/or sexually abused at their home should be removed straight away, regardless of any other considerations.
That is how it should be for all children in this country.

Education is the ONLY way the Indigenous people will rise up and take their rightful place in Australian society
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 29 April 2010 1:16:28 AM
suzeonline

Hear, hear!

Spot on.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 29 April 2010 8:50:42 AM
It should be so Suzeonline but it is not.

We cannot leave our army of lawyers short of cash and the Judges among them do also need cash and prestige.

We, the newcomers, have brought with us our untold miseries and have poured them on the people of this continent. The pouring will continue probably until there is a single aborigine left.

Each of us, individually and in groups, has taken from the primal occupiers, the land and, with it, those people’s freedom, health and dignity.

Our moral decay cannot be absconded when, in the short period of two century, we, the civilized European, have decimated the population of the Aborigine of Australia and repeated the earlier equal massacres of the Aborigine of the Americas.

What is the essence of the sorrow expressed by a Prime Minister when, if one of us, driven by moral compulsion, wished to direct some financial help to relieve the suffering of the aborigine, does not know where to look?

Every venue of aboriginal welfare is in the hands of institutions regulated by unknowns who do not feel the duty to specify how the help is used.

My experience tells me that glossy magazines and expensive cards of thanks from unknown entities or personalities instead of reports on the distribution and quality of help supplied hardly encourage further support
Posted by skeptic, Thursday, 29 April 2010 6:26:43 PM
Skeptic,<"Every venue of aboriginal welfare is in the hands of institutions regulated by unknowns who do not feel the duty to specify how the help is used."
I could say the same to you- it should be that way, but it isn't!

Having worked in Aboriginal Health in the community (country and city) for several years, I can tell you that when money is given by the Government to some supposedly upstanding members of Aboriginal communities to be used where it is most needed, it is squandered.

The people in control of the money usually use a little of it for community projects, and the rest is used for their own extended family. They buy four wheel drives, TV's, cars, anything!

They can't and wont say no if family members know they have access to money, and ask them to 'share' it. That is just the way it is.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but I have seen it all and have now left that area of health in despair.
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 29 April 2010 9:57:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy