The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > To be the Clever Country, we need the appropriate history curriculum > Comments

To be the Clever Country, we need the appropriate history curriculum : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 20/4/2010

If we understand history we can observe the evolution of man’s thinking and avoid repeating the mistakes of the past.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Keith:

Haha, nice try mate :) Where did I even remotely allude to the suggestion of a belief that women played no part in western development prior to modern feminism? I smell straw...

Quite the opposite. They played a fundamental role throughout history, and many notable contributions in Curie's own field. We just didn't start hearing about them until recently. Funny that. But I'm sure the feminists had nothing to do with it. No doubt mankind got there on its own.
Posted by Grayzie, Tuesday, 20 April 2010 10:15:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think that vanna/HRS/Timkins et al and keith have a lot in common.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 20 April 2010 10:41:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
C J Morgan,
It must be a great difficulty in your life, that the only people who love you are feminists.

The facts are, to survive, you must go forward. Some people call this evolution, but its simply going forward.

Current teachers should be the last people to teach history, because almost nothing in the education system is going forwards, and nearly everything is in decline and going backwards.
Posted by vanna, Tuesday, 20 April 2010 11:52:15 PM
Vanna wrote:

"My guess is that you would want to develop a brand new planet, populated entirely by C J Morgans."

Ouch!

What a lovely put down. :-)
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 21 April 2010 12:03:37 AM
Hi Steven

"Someone born in 2000 could still understand something about life in 1900. I wonder whether someone "born", "manufactured", "designed', whatever in 2100 will even be able to comprehend the year 2000"

Exactly. I 'reckon' they will have all families lives recorded on some new technological instrument [perhaps inside a pen or paintbrush that flows out electronically] to view in laser type flows. Or maybe, technology will by 2100 be able to laser on through to Heaven for us to speak 'one on one' with our deceased relatives and friends?

Just kidding! No creationary vision there StevenLMeyer.

For what its worth: Over many years have given thought about technology and advances using basic computer software hardware to date, particularly when one takes a look at technological advances jumping quickly within a minimal 1-3 year period.

Further to your comments, Innovation and engineering...I hope one of our Ozzies engineers, patents and exports at least one of the following this century;

(a) a robot shopping, cooking and cleaning [can hear the cheers]
(b) cars flying in space [the Jetsons cartoon program?]
(c) individual spaceships to fly around the world, to the moon and other planets
(d) The VFT and if not, [c-f]in the meantime;
(c) electric vehicles [computerized]driving people [the UK half way there?]programmed with safety features to avoid all types of common accidents
(d) Detection beams/fields placed within the middle of roads to stop vehicles moving across until safe and/or Posts on highways with beams/computers to detect when a vehicle is about to overtake dangerously
(e) A robotic computerized voice booming out 'wake up' with horns sounding in the car, to alert drivers when they have fallen asleep
(e) Underground Parking: Rego plates detected by beams, the plate lights up above the carpark, and the vehicle who was first there claims the parking spot [to avoid cheats zooming in at the last minute] lol. Robotic parking infringements issued if the cheat progresses
(f) Refrigerated boots in vehicles [another one of mine someone can develop]

Fantastic points Steven.
Posted by we are unique, Wednesday, 21 April 2010 1:03:27 AM
So why do you hate teachers so much, vanna/HRS/Timkins et al? Who should teach history at schools, if not teachers?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 21 April 2010 7:48:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy