The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The classroom - where teachers and pupils get together > Comments

The classroom - where teachers and pupils get together : Comments

By Phil Cullen, published 8/4/2010

The NAPLAN tests can be accurately described as unnecessary, immoral, costly, unreliable and destructive of curriculum spirit and school time.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Those that criticize measuring performance are the last to implement testing and regularly excuse their inaction by claiming the tests are flawed. Get real, in this world, real people make many good decisions based on limited information while decisions made in ignorance have about the same success rate as tossing a coin.

I entered education in the chalk and talk era, the role of Maths in the morning etc was standard law in those days. Today it is all too often varied and when parents ask why? We are fed teacher centric excuses such as the PE teachers cant be expected to accept all their free time in the morning.

Some ACER results from testing across schools have been reflected in the NAPLAN results ? Some information is a step forward, hopefully the author can outline measures which can supplement the present tests rather than criticizing them.
Posted by For Choice, Monday, 12 April 2010 1:22:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I used to be a teacher and from my own experience I will state that if teachers work hard at helping their students, as so many do, then these tests will not embarrass but rather help. What the real issue here is that Ms Gillard has stated that principals will be held to account if students are seen to be failing
I worked in one government secondary college in Victoria where to pass a kid needed only to get 10%. Yes, 10%. When I argued against it I was told off. When I went to the department they told me that I had no right to complain outside of my school organisation.
remember what VECCI stated last week, and before, about the literacy and numeracy skills of some 4 million workers. sadly, while I believe they are exaggerating, they are otherwise telling the truth about the issue itself.
wee have schools where they seriously care about the kids and work hard for them. And we have others where the most important people there are the senior staff, the principal and their lackies.
These tests will place pressure on such schools to lift their socks, and it is about time.
Posted by Ange, Monday, 12 April 2010 4:49:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You write a great Article .
But I am still Confused .
I sort of feel Better .
I know you didn't mention the bit of paper we get at the end of the year , I get five of them , AFAIAC they are a waste of paper , The Old System was totally brutally REAL , it was Honest a lay person like me could make a judgment , focus on the outcome and make a good decision eg; To do something extra like Coaching or to not to do anything. One of my children has just entered University another is frantically positioning himself focusing on gaining entry to a Schools Tradesman's course beginning next year , he is very Lucky he is assisted beyond the call of Duty by Staff and Teachers , He is an Aspergers Person .(as is Bill Gates) How could you possibly fish this kid out of the ridicules assessment ritual we now have ?

My Kids are Committed Australians , they know our family's History dating back in Oz to 1830 , they owe no Alms to the UK or Ireland they are Bona fide Australians so why do they have to apologize to Aboriginals to hold a School Assembly ? Will they never be real Aussies?
Posted by Garum Masala, Monday, 19 April 2010 10:42:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy