The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Christian right ideology and the prayer warriors > Comments

Christian right ideology and the prayer warriors : Comments

By Alan Matheson, published 26/3/2010

The American Christian right ideology is pervasive in Australia and in some denominations is totally reshaping them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Richie, the two little *, one at each end of the sentence, meant
I was quoting and it came straight from the article itself.

The amount certainly did not surprise me, for we know that tele
evangalism is a huge business. Enough has been written about
money pouring into the so called US bible belt and tv is how they
make the majority of it.

But look, send in your money if its buying you hope. Some people
spend it on a shrink, some give it to the religious cults. Both
are seeking peace of mind, which they seemingly can't deal with
on their own.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 28 March 2010 1:33:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Yabba,
It is the amount that surprises me for our currency laws are enforced at our exit points and if B.H. was taking out nearly 1 million he would be breaking our currency law and it destroys his witness.
Jesus said if we could not believe his words then believe the miracles for they are impossible for man. Though *every* man be a liar God is still true and I find it very hard to believe that the devil wouldn't challenge authority of the word. I have walked with Jesus too long to take your word over his.
Posted by Richie 10, Monday, 29 March 2010 12:36:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Richie, I'd be surprised if the author has had the opportunity to audit the books, from what I've been able to find on it Hinn is anything but transparent about finances. Some of his strongest critics on this appear to be other christain's concerned not just about Hinn's "witness" but the harm done to the whole church but those who operate the way he (and others do).

What level of accountability do you think someone in his position should have if they care about their witness?

- Do you think much of the bad reputation televangelists could be reduced if their financial dealings were out in the open?
- Do you think it honors christ while televangelists continue to be the subject of financial rumor and continue to be very secretive about their finances?

I don't agree with the idea that if you have nothing to hide the idea of privacy does not matter but in this case I get the impression that much of the money is being taken under false pretexts, that many of those giving believe that they are in some way giving to god rather than to support the trimmings of personal wealth for the preacher.

By the way there are plenty of legal ways of taking money out of the country, other visiting entertainers presumably make profit's from their tours but at least those who pay them don't think that the money is for something else.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 29 March 2010 7:11:39 AM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/pastor-leaves-800k-richer/story-e6freoof-1111115627614

Richie, according to this Courier Mail story, Hinn certainly did
clean up in Brisbane!

Still, if you don't see a problem with a preacher who flies around
in his own 36 million$ Gulfstream jet and asks for individual
donations of up to 10'000$, that is your choice.

There is clearly huge money to be made out of religion, which was
my point.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 29 March 2010 9:56:57 AM
Yabby wrote:

"There is clearly huge money to be made out of religion,..."

You're right. Sometimes I say to myself there are all these gullible Christians out there waiting to be fleeced, begging to be relieved of their money. And I ask myself:

How can I get a piece of the action?

Why should Benny Hinn and Pat Robertson get all the money?

Why I can't I get my share?

If anyone here has any ideas on how to fleece Christians, or adherents of any other religion, of a few dollars let me know. All ideas welcome. If your idea works I'll give you 10% of the profits.

So posters, release your inner con artist. Religion offers a way of conning people legally. And if you arrange matters carefully you don't even have to pay taxes on your ill-gotten gains.

Don't think of Christians with contempt.

Think of them as cash cows.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Monday, 29 March 2010 10:17:06 AM
'Still, if you don't see a problem with a preacher who flies around
in his own 36 million$ Gulfstream jet and asks for individual
donations of up to 10'000$, that is your choice.'

Is Yabby speaking about Al Gore by any chance?
Posted by runner, Monday, 29 March 2010 10:52:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy