The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Windschuttle and the Stolen Generations > Comments

Windschuttle and the Stolen Generations : Comments

By Cameron Raynes, published 19/3/2010

The SA State Children’s Council's 'unequivocal statement' clearly shows its intention was to 'put an end to Aboriginality'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. All
Thanks, I'll check it out in your book, if I can find a copy. A & R, Dymocks, Borders ? Where can one find the full details, at the Lutheran archives in North Adelaide ?

It was common practice for parents to go out to work from missions and government settlements, and to leave their children in the dormitory while they were away, so that the kids could get some continuity of education (at Pt McLeay, Gerard, Pt Pearce, Koonibba), and so that the parents could get some sort of working income. The parents signed documents to that effect.

Are you saying that this process was not followed at Koonibba ?
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 19 March 2010 12:34:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for this article Cameron Raynes. The odious Windschuttle deserves to have his nitpicking 'scholarship' subjected to similar scrutiny to that which he applied to the footnotes of his academic betters. Unfortunately, your well-researched and argued article will undoubtedly attract similarly ignorant and negative comments to those that have been posted thus far.

I don't know why Joe Lane/Loudmouth is so critical of your work, given his claimed experience with Aboriginal issues. Back in the 1980s I had occasion to work at a Queensland State Government institution that had historically been involved in 'removals' from Palm Island and other missions in North Queensland, and had the opportunity to peruse records dating back to the late 19th century.

The number of Aboriginal children (with names like Thursday, Friday, Daylight etc) who had been removed from their parents and sent to work as unpaid servants and farmhands astounded me. I imagine that access to those records by researchers would also be very difficult to gain.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 19 March 2010 12:49:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ just can't let go of slagging off at anyone who disagrees, "The odious Windschuttle deserves to have his nitpicking 'scholarship' subjected to similar scrutiny to that which he applied to the footnotes of his academic betters. Unfortunately, your well-researched and argued article will undoubtedly attract similarly ignorant and negative comments to those that have been posted thus far."

It's an opinion piece, and the author is aware that people may not agree, he's big enough I'm sure to deal with it - you sure can't.

Your comments may be similarly be seen as "ignorant and negative" of Windshuttle's work, and similarly of no substance other than insults.
Posted by Amicus, Friday, 19 March 2010 1:05:18 PM
It's a pleasure CJ Morgan.
Joe, I have to admit I don't know the answer to your question regarding the signing of waivers. It's an interesting point and worth checking out. I may have burnt my bridges at the Lutheran archives though. There's very little of that sort of information at State Records, though the UAM at one point tried, through the Aborigines Department, to get the Crown Solicitor to help them draft a document that, when signed by an Aboriginal person, would give them control of the children of that person.
Posted by Cameron R, Friday, 19 March 2010 1:07:42 PM
Amicus - while my comment is certainly negative concerning Windschuttle's second-rate 'scholarship', it is anything but ignorant.

I have read widely about the Stolen Generations and taught a university course in Aboriginal Studies for years. Upon what research and experience do you base your comments on this topic?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 19 March 2010 1:17:38 PM
Cameron, as I am confident you are aware, the views of Windschuttle appeal to the vested interest and colonially moronic bigotry of many Australians, as Australia becomes increasingly perceived internationally as a racist pariah.

Posters alike Leigh and Loudmouth congregate on OLO threads wherever issues of race or migrants arise, to spread their malevolent bigotry, as insidiously as those former practices you write of, demonstrate.

For as I am confident you are also aware, illegitimate pursuit is restricted in its capacity for initiative, which is why we observe varieties of the same colonial tactics of racism, recycled ad nauseam.

I am an original member of the recognised Maori activist group, Nga Tamatoa [The Young Warriors], however I will not reveal my identity further. For as the malevolence of racism is known, its promoters use covert tactics, such as implied intimidation, and covert and clandestine infiltration, to pursue its infection.

As is also known, the most efficient method of reforming attitudes of those so disposed, is their receiving a dose of their own malevolence. So I will remain disguised that I may ‘ninja’ them at the most appropriate opportunity.

Hi Joe!
Posted by Ngarmada, Friday, 19 March 2010 2:57:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 29
  10. 30
  11. 31
  12. All