The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Supporting women to support others > Comments

Supporting women to support others : Comments

By Misty de Vries, published 16/3/2010

It’s time for government and industry to realise the long term benefits in supporting women’s and parents’ participation in the paid workforce.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I fully agree. Well said/
Posted by jjplug, Wednesday, 17 March 2010 8:19:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'we have been one of only two OECD countries without a scheme of some type'

Yes, but as we all know we are third in the world for family payments. We just don't call it maternity leave. The baby bonus equates to 13 weeks leave on minimum wage, then you have Family Tax benefit etc.

'experience serious work life conflict.'

Or choice. Choices can be conflicting, but I'd rather choice than none.

'78 hours/week on paid and unpaid work compared to 73 hours for men.'

I bet lawn mowing and commuting isn't included and having coffee with mothers group is. Definitions of 'work' are rubbery, as are surveys. I've seen studies showing it's about equal.

'But it’s not enough.'
Of course, it never is. Is it. If women got two years on full pay, you'd be asking for 5.

You've outlined so many choices women have, and outlined how to expand those choices. Will this create more 'conflict' and hence a need for more choices?

It seems to me like the objective is to make all choices equally viable and equally encouraged for every woman with the aim that one choice doesn't affect any other choice. Impossible! Life isn't like that.

And your everyone's a winner spiel is naive in the extreme. Society is getting free volunteer labour and child rearing, and a lot of women are getting complete autonomy and a lot of satisfaction in these jobs, which is what you now want employers to provide.

Men accept that being a wage slave is just that, they pay you so they own you. A lot of women have found that out now too and that's why they'd rather be the ones at home if it were financially viable.

Oh, if only employers would let you pick your own hours, bring your children or work from home, mind your children for you, train you and give you 100% security for no commitment and pay you whether you're working or not. It's just not fair!
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 18 March 2010 9:22:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I cant believe this didn't turn into a gender war.

It's a disgrace.

This chick deserves more posts as she actually had some decent points. And you all post to MTR's stuff? You lot need your head read.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 9:51:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy