The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine - lots of talking but little listening > Comments

Palestine - lots of talking but little listening : Comments

By David Singer, published 11/3/2010

While the international community continues talking - and not listening - both Jews and Arabs are set to endure more suffering.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Sorry David, but I'm interested in a serious test of the proposition of whether there is discrimination, and not in playing word games with a Zionist with poor manners.

Nevertheless, I'd welcome any data/sources that you can provide and i'll make my own inquiries.
Posted by grateful, Saturday, 20 March 2010 1:16:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
#grateful

Once again can I respectfully say that it is not for me to provide you with data/sources so you can make your own inquiries as to whether what you spouted off the top of your head was true or not.

You suggested that only Arab unauthorized structures were demolished - no Jewish ones.

You suggested no Arab building applications were being approved.

These are very damaging statements - if true. I challenged you to provide the source for those statements.

If you make statements like these you must be prepared to substantiate them.

You are apparently unable or reluctant to do so.

Hot air is cheap. My time is not.

So for the FIFTH TIME I am asking you to answer the following questions:

1. Do you agree that Jewish as well as Arab unauthorized structures are being demolished in the light of the authority I gave you?

2. Do you agree that some Arab construction permits are being approved?
Posted by david singer, Saturday, 20 March 2010 6:36:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David,
It is share of total permits received by non-Jews and how this proportion compares with the share of non- Jews in the population that is critical and not the absolute number of permits.

Similarly, it is the share of total demolitions that involve Jews that is critical and not their absolute number.

It would also be interesting to consider the extent to which Jews and non-Jews were supported after having their homes demolished.

The impression I get is that whenever a Jewish settlement is pulled down, the residents are reallocated and provided alternative accommodation and perhaps other support.

On the other hand i have never heard of a non-Jew being reallocated or compensated when they have been left homeless. This would be another area to test for discrimination.
Posted by grateful, Saturday, 20 March 2010 7:59:30 PM
#grateful

Your "impression" and "what you have heard" are irrelevant and of course cannot be tested as to their veracity without you sharing with us the sources.

For the SIXTH time can you please answer the following questions:

1. Do you agree that Jewish as well as Arab unauthorized structures are being demolished in the light of the authority I gave you?

2. Do you agree that some Arab construction permits are being approved?

Yes - I am still also waiting for your verification of the 70/30 claim you "thought" was applicable to the ratio of Jews and Arabs living in East Jerusalem.

Do you want to ring a friend to help you in what appears to be a lot of foot dragging?

OLO readers might find your reluctance to answer rather surprising - as I do.
Posted by david singer, Sunday, 21 March 2010 7:36:16 AM
I've been busy,

i see that you are persisting with the questions and still have not figured out that my answers are implicit in my research questions i've proposed. Read carefully this time:

"It is share of total permits received by non-Jews and how this proportion compares with the share of non- Jews in the population that is critical and not the absolute number of permits.

Similarly, it is the share of total demolitions that involve Jews that is critical and not their absolute number."

In any case, i'm not interested in any direct dialogue with you after your earlier vulgar remarks, particularly in labelling anyone with a view you disliked as "Arab propagandists"

But i can report progress. Here is a snippet from a World Bank Report which describes discriminatory treatment in regard to the issue and revokation of IDs for Jeruselam residents:

1/2 cont...
Posted by grateful, Thursday, 25 March 2010 12:03:31 AM
2/2 cont

Palestinian residents of East Jerusalem live under different regulations than Palestinian residents of the rest of the West Bank due to GOI annexation of East Jerusalem in 1967 which exists in violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions.

Under the Oslo Accords, the status of East Jerusalem was left to final status negotiations and therefore Palestinian residents of East Jerusalem are currently considered neither citizens of Israel nor residents of WB&G. Instead, they have received Jerusalem identification cards from GOI, but are not necessarily eligible for Israeli passports nor allowed to accept Palestinian passports or travel documents. GOI can revoke Jerusalem IDs if it determines that Jerusalem ceases to be the “center of life” of the ID-holder.

As part of this process, checks on official residences are conducted including entering homes to look for signs of residency. Obtaining a foreign passport, or residing in a foreign country for more than three years for purposes other than education, can also result in revocation of Jerusalem IDs.

These restrictions and procedures, however, do not apply to Israeli residents of settlements in East Jerusalem. According to statistics of Israel’s Ministry of Interior, between 1967 and 2006 more than 8,200 Palestinians had their Jerusalem ID’s revoked, with the justification for revocation in the vast majority of cases being that the ID-holder had relocated abroad.According to statistics gathered by B’Tselem, over 1360 Palestinians from Jerusalem had their ID cards revoked in 2006 – more than in any previous year since 1967 and a 500% increase over the number of revocations in 200561. Palestinians with IDs from other parts of the West Bank need a special permit to access East Jerusalem and then can enter through only four established “crossings”. Eight crossings have been provided for Israeli citizens or residents, including settlers, who need no permits.

UNQUOTE

pp10-11#http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTWESTBANKGAZA/Resources/WestBankrestrictions9Mayfinal.pdf

I’ll keep you posted on my progress
Posted by grateful, Thursday, 25 March 2010 12:05:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy