The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What's marriage really got to do with commitment > Comments

What's marriage really got to do with commitment : Comments

By Shane Ogden, published 26/2/2010

Marriage: the state should not be telling me or you that my or your relationship is less legitimate than another.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
<< I just felt that formalizing the relationship took it that one little step closer, and also we got to have a great engagement party and wedding party. What's not to like? >>

Nothing, if that is your choice, however it remains verboten for gay couples and a sad indictment on our society where people cannot hold a ceremony and participate fully in all our cultural activities, marriage being just one.
Posted by Severin, Sunday, 28 February 2010 8:40:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
suzeonline: << I don't really see the point to all this debate. If you want to get married, then do so. If you don't, then live alone or in a defacto relationship. >>

The trouble is that those gay people who want to marry their partners are legally unable to do so. That this blatant discrimination not only persists in Australian society, but was also affirmed this week in the Senate, is an indication of the extent to which structural homophobia is still very much with us.

Neither of the major political parties in Australia is game to support an end to this obvious discrimination against homosexuals, which indicates the extent to which they are still captive to the reactionary, homophobic forces that are evidently still far too powerful in our society.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Sunday, 28 February 2010 9:03:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Marriage is also a public health measure. Married people are less likely to be promiscuous than unmarried people. I favour same sex marriage, along with other reasons, as a disease prevention measure.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 28 February 2010 9:13:44 AM
davidf

'I favour same sex marriage, along with other reasons, as a disease prevention measure.'

You would outlaw sodomy if the disease factor was considered.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 28 February 2010 9:39:22 AM
runner wrote: "You would outlaw sodomy if the disease factor was considered."

Dear runner,

Great idea!

Why not outlaw sex except for masturbation? If it could be enforced that would stop the spread of sexually transmitted disease. Babies could be conceived in the sterile confines of the laboratory.

We could have a world of sexual outercourse.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 28 February 2010 10:12:11 AM
Suze asks what is the point - I agree. Why are we still wedded to the same age old arguments. Get married if you want, don't if you don't want. People are no longer shunned or stoned for being in defacto relationships.

Marriage means a lot to some people. Same sex relationships should enjoy the same rights as heterosexual couples even if the marriage ceremony is only a symbolic part of all the other legalities that go with more permanent relationships.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 28 February 2010 10:15:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy