The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > God is a human invention > Comments

God is a human invention : Comments

By David Fisher, published 19/2/2010

The entire structure of our society, in addition to technology and language, is all a consequence of human inventions.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Sir,

Time ago I found myself musing on the lesson we can derive from fossils.

Isn't it that in time we'll be fossils?

Unless we self annihilate before that time, as it seems we are in the process of doing.
Posted by skeptic, Friday, 19 February 2010 2:09:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
here we go again. Another corrupt human shaking his puny fist at his Maker. Pathetic really! If David is smart enough to see that humans have invented and designed things then surely he is clever enough to see that he himself has been designed. Denying the obvious seems to be a favourite past time for god deniers. No wonder they need pseudo science to back up their unintelligible rubbish.
Posted by runner, Friday, 19 February 2010 3:51:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner,

The burden of proof is not on the 'god deniers' such as David Fisher but on those people who believe in the supernatural,whatever that might be.We have all been 'designed' by evolution through natural selection,no supernatural designer is needed
Posted by mac, Friday, 19 February 2010 4:33:20 PM
mac

you say we have all been all 'designed' by evolution. Have a think about how idiotic that statement is.
Posted by runner, Friday, 19 February 2010 5:06:38 PM
Thank you, David, for another thoughtful, clearly worded and honest article. Especially refreshing is its lack of bitterness,hysteria and egotism -- unusual in articles on this topic.

I'm pleased to find someone else who places particular emphasis on semantics and etymology. They are almost always neglected in discussions of this sort, and yet the words we choose and how and why we use them are crucial in framing our own thoughts and communicating them to others.

Thank you also for bringing "Dover Beach" to the attention of readers, many of whom have probably never come across it before. The poem has echoed in my mind for almost fifty years with the same deeply authentic voice I heard when I first read it as an adolescent. Humanity needs such poets as Arnold so much.

We obviously share an appreciation of that poem and, dare I say,we probably share much of the attitude and values it implies. Where we disagree is about its implications regarding "God".

This will have to be the basis for an article in reply. In the meantime, thanks again.
Posted by crabsy, Friday, 19 February 2010 5:18:37 PM
runner,

Read my comments carefully and you'll notice that 'designed' is in quotes,which means that the usual, literal meaning shouldn't be assigned to the word. It's a trap for the unwary---such as you.
Posted by mac, Friday, 19 February 2010 5:38:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy