The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ray Martin is right > Comments

Ray Martin is right : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 1/2/2010

There is simply no good argument for Australia maintaining a flag which excludes Indigenous Australians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
While I often disagree with Greg Barns, he's absolutely correct on this subject. Ditto with the comments thus far, with the unsurprising exception of the very aptly-named Hasbeen.

As I've suggested in the thread in the General section, another very good reason for ditching the current flag is because it has been defiled by its recent appropriation as a symbol of contemporary Australian racism and xenophobia.

We need a flag that symbolically unites all Australians, not just those of British extraction.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 1 February 2010 11:05:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aboriginal people will not be fooled for a minute by the mob who always claim to be be working for their interests but always seem to have a secondary agenda of their own that somehow always rises to the top.

If the Greens and others want to stir things up to get noticed and there is an election in sight then so be it, but let no-one be fooled that they are doing it on behalf of indigenous people.

What about building some houses and forget the flag? But wait on, millions of dollars regularly go into housing and have done so for decades, but the houses are missing, so where does it all end up?

Those who claim to represent "Indigenous Australians" (copied from 'African American', no doubt) and who are continually inventing new cultural imperatives for them are an embarrassment and nuisance to Aboriginal people, who realise there is nothing they can do to stop the industry that lives off them and diverts government resources, attention and effort away from the fundamentals for which the moneys were allocated.

What about some houses, health care and education instead before all of the money disappears again?
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 1 February 2010 11:53:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The laughable part of the arguement is that if the Union jack is outdated how much more the aboriginal flag. If it wasn't for the British we would probably have a Dutch or even Japanese flag flying over Canberra. The the word genocide would then be a reality instead of continual revision of history we have now.
Posted by runner, Monday, 1 February 2010 12:18:56 PM
Cripes CJ you will be outlawing watermelons and Jim Beam next. Afterall a watermelon hat and a can of Jim Beam are the preferred headgear and drinks of these mindless boofheads.
Posted by blairbar, Monday, 1 February 2010 12:21:05 PM
'Meanwhile we are stuck with a flag that is a statement about exclusion.' Crikey, what a ridiculous statement from someone who wants us to adopt the aboriginal flag, surely that is exclusion at its most extreme. It certainly does not include me or any of my ancestors that have lived here for almost 200 years.

The current Australian flag represents all Australians equally, and quite rightly recognises that it originated from British settlement. Ours is the best flag in the world no matter how you look at it, and it should stay exactly as it is forever.

I think the previous comments by Hasbeen are pretty well on the money.
Posted by Saintly Sinner, Monday, 1 February 2010 12:26:40 PM
I see no reason to change the flag, if we become a republic then perhaps we should review, otherwise it is a good reflection of our country and our government. Most of us trace our roots back to Britain it's a fact get over it, our head of state is British get over it.
Greg and some of the commenter’s seem to be confused. In the one hand they don't except our British past (our national anthem still describes us as such) because that is in the past and we should be looking to the future. In the next breath their saying we should recognised that fact that there were people here before Cap Cook.
I for one have got no interest in seeing a hunting club on the Australian flag, it’s a symbol of violence and it’s not even uniquely Australian aboriginal. The oldest one found so far comes from Poland, yes that right we were once hunter and gathers.
If we are going to be silly why not the boxing Kangaroo!
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 1 February 2010 1:20:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy